High MOT price

california987

Hi everyone,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section. I have just heard back from the garage regarding my MOT and it needs a new rear exhaust box and centre section. He wants £601 alone for the parts.

To me this sounds a bit much? He doesn't mind fitting the parts if I can source some myself. Any ideas where I can get some?

Due to some unfortunate circumstances I may have to sell the car shortly, so second hand parts are certainly an option too.

Thanks for any advice with this :)

if you're selling the car, then go secondhand off ebay. Or even cheaper, if its just split at the join between the rear box and the centre section, most exhaust places should be able to weld it which would last for a few months - probably long enough to sell the car.

Then when it fails again with the new owner, they'll be thankful as they'll have a reason to tell the missus why it needs to be replaced with a Cobra system :D

Thanks guys, just had a browse on eBay, seems to quite a few on there but no idea what I'm really looking for. Some say missing screws and others include sections that I'm not sure if I even need. I assume 'rear exhaust box' means the pipes too - so the bits you can see from behind when standing up behind the car

Why do you need these parts? Sounds to me like the flanges connecting the back box and mid pipe have corroded and broke, it's a common issue and the easiest and cheapest method of repair is to sleeve and weld the 2 sections together. I certainly wouldn't be fitting a new exhaust before selling a car.

As others have said, it's probably fixable to pass an MOT, rather than spending 100's on a new exhaust. Your garage sound like d!cks as well as anywhere decent should have recommended this as a first option. I'd never take a car to them again if they did that to me and I'd tell them that after you've got everything sorted. :)