987 Cayman S

Zeezeebaba

I'm looking at these with a view to buy, I had a spin in one recently and I'm hooked!

My budget will only stretch to an 07 MY car due to the family budget.

So aside from the two engine issues I'm aware of and having decent history and getting a warranty is there anything else I need to be aware of?

My little blast blew me away, it ranks personally as one of the most fun connected cars I've ever driven.

So aside from the two engine issues I'm aware of and having decent history and getting a warranty is there anything else I need to be aware of?

Not really, assuming the two engine issues you refer to are bore scoring and IMS bearing failure.

The only other must-do is to get a full inspection before you purchase, specifically a boroscope check to look for the bore scoring. IMS you take a punt on, however MY07 cars will have the later release of the bearing so about as good as you can hope for. Bearing in mind that issues with the IMS usually occur between 40k to 80k, there's actually an argument for getting an early car with high miles on, assuming the bores come back okay. What money you save can then be put towards upgrades or refreshes as you see fit.

Spec-wise it's very much up to you, although please avoid the Tiptronic 'box! Personally I'd be looking for a car without the PCM sat nav (as it's crap), with the sports seats (for extra shoulder support), without PASM (one less thing to go wrong) and on the smaller 18" wheels (to ride better). However, if you do like every other 9x7 owner does and buy a car on 19"s, you MUST have PASM else the ride can be very harsh.

Warranty you take a punt on, some will refuse to cover IMS and bore scoring due to it being a known issue with the car, or if they do cover any of it it's often not the full amount. You can still get the OPC warranty at that age though for another two years, so if you can definitely get that as it's the only thing that covers EVERYTHING, although you then can't mod the car and have to run N-rated tyres etc. Personally, I never found that an issue.

But yeah, please get the inspection. I cannot state how important that is, and a couple of hundred quid can save you thousands.

Cheers Ekona, what a great response and very helpful. It's certainly not a purchase I'm going to rush that's for sure. I'm definitely getting a manual and Nav isn't important as I rarely use it now. I was very impressed with the way they drive and I've owned some nice cars, I would happily rate them with the best, it took all of three seconds to feel connected.

They are utterly brilliant, aren't they? :)

Do yourself a favour after the purchase and go and see Chris Franklin at Center Gravity in Atherstone, for £300 he'll check all your suspension and give you the best alignment you'll ever get. May not seem cheap, but I promise you it's an absolute bargain.

Ive owned 2 Cayman S' in the past 3 years or so, I am pretty switched onto what to look out for, what not to get, what 100% to get etc etc.

drop me a PM if you have any specific questions.

I built my first CS to techart spec, if you have instagram search for SUPERCARSTALKER he owns it now, it cruises around london all day getting photographed lol A guy from south africa bought it off me, then it ended up down in london somehow.

can't miss it, bright red with a badass kit

• Like 1

…on the smaller 18" wheels (to ride better). However, if you do like every other 9x7 owner does and buy a car on 19"s, you MUST have PASM else the ride can be very harsh.

Seconded. Mine had the 19" wheels on standard suspension and it was a right pig on our roads. They brought nothing to the party apart from bling and cost!

• Like 1

I just bought one, :teeth: picked it up this morning,

2015-10-18_17-15-22.jpeg

So is the boxter going

I should probably sell it really, 3 cars & a van. :blush:

Is there much difference between the 2

In real the world not really. Dynamically the Cayman is a better drive with the tin top, although they both handle exceptionally well, the cayman feels a little flatter at low revs but definitely has a bit more go at higher revs.

Cayman is better specced for me, cruise, heated sports seats, extended leather pack, bi-xenons