mixing oils ??

horus1970

my zed needs a slight top up and not sure what oil is in it,,, told the local car shop guy and he suggested putting synthetic in so i bought a small top up bottle,

but if my car has mineral oil in it will the synthetic turn the oil to crap?? have put half a litre in,,, was going to use semi synthetic but bloke advised fully synthetic,,,, :wacko:

Fully synthetic 5W30 (buy a 5ltr tub from somewhere like opieoils.com - and there is a recommended list on their site) - you'll need it, as these cars will drink oil.

If you don't know about this stuff, which is what your post is reading like... also ensure you are filling the car with super unleaded, example Shell V-Power Nitro+

(yes, the expensive stuff).

Didn't the car have a manual with it ?

Yeah do a full change, I usually do a mini service whenever I get a new car (especially given the amount of threads on here from new owners saying their cars are having problems 4 weeks after purchase etc!) - opie oils are a good shout, Millers, Titan, etc all good oils, invest £40 or so in the oil and get it changed.

Do keep an eye on the oil level, if the light comes on you are fooked. Some cars go through a litre every 1000 miles some only lose the couple of ml you wipe off the stick when you check it! Its a pain check it on the DEs but worth the two minutes of time a month.

yeah im aware of what grade fuel to put in and what weight oil to put in, just wasnt sure about mixing it that was my question, havnt got time to do full oil change as have no access to a car lift, will get it serviced at the end of the month,

just topped it up as was half way down dipstick which i know is safe but im a fanny,,,

had lots and lots of sports cars over the years and also have a formula jedi in the process of building,, just wasnt sure about mixing mineral and synthetic as have been informed you cant buy fully mineral anymore,,

Edited by horus1970

horus1970:

Ok, not intended to be patronising but it's the way you wrote it, looked like you didn't know so it's always worth telling new people here to take care of these cars.

Listen to Brad if you want to create a smoke trail wherever you drive ;):lol:

• Like 1

horus1970:

Ok, not intended to be patronising but it's the way you wrote it, looked like you didn't know so it's always worth telling new people here to take care of these cars.

Listen to Brad if you want to create a smoke trail wherever you drive ;):lol:

im just a realy bad flapper when it comes to my cars ,ha, i love it and wasnt sure what oil it had in it off last owner, was just wanting to know worst that could happen to gauge whether or not to wait until end of month for full service,,

never owned a road car that i liked driving as much in my life,, i will never be selling it,, getting the old shogun sport through its mot for winter so zed can rest under cover until next spring when im treating her to a full respray,,, theres another 3 grand i wont get back ha,, but doesnt matter as its staying put..

Horus,

In the short term, having the correct amount of oil must be far more important than anything, but I agree with others, if you arn't sure of the history get a mini service asap, just bought my latest car with full history and service stamped 1,500 miles ago- first thing I did was oil and filter change.

Bradders, I can't believe that smokescreen of yours is still going!

• Like 1

Horus,

In the short term, having the correct amount of oil must be far more important than anything, but I agree with others, if you arn't sure of the history get a mini service asap, just bought my latest car with full history and service stamped 1,500 miles ago- first thing I did was oil and filter change.

yeah thats what i was thinking, level takes president over type i suppose, im just going to change the lot when i get the time over the next couple of weeks,,

Horus,

ive done over 1000 miles in it tgis week. Still going strong!