Blocked Washer Jet - Repair - DIY

Oz Striker

Ever since owning my Z one of the washer jets was always blocked on the passenger side, this wasn't too much of an issue. Then a few weeks ago a 2nd of the 3 jets on the passenger side got blocked up, and so that was a bit of a PITA... and using a fine needle didn't work at unblocking.

So i took apart the nozzles and thought I'd post some pics, as I previously hadn't tried to fix the nozzle as they looked a little fragile to get off.

On the under side of the wiper arm, you'll see a T-piece section of rubber, disconnect this from both the forward and rear facing nozzles:

20150909_172450_zpsqs1os3cu.jpg

Here are some pictures of the nozzles themselves, they comply have 2 plastic tabs keeping them tightly in place, so they should just slide off. Be careful as i bent one tab, although it still went back on securely:

20150909_172641_zpss9r0onef.jpg

20150909_172610_zpslznciz9p.jpg

I tried simply running air through it with the set up below, some tubing and a 20 ml syringe, but no luck. then fired some water through it whilst covering the 1 working jet with my thumb which cleared one nozzle. To get the last jet unblocked, I did the same but with a tumbler of hot water with a drop of fairy liquid, pumping the fluid through it, back and forth, with thumb again over the now 2 working nozzles, this finally dislodged a few visible flecks of dirt.

20150909_173034_zps4hv51xs1.jpg

Hope this helps someone if they are having trouble with 1 or 2 nozzles not working.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Try removing the non return valve installed up by the master cyl. Rejoin the two pipes with some suitable connector. I used a small piece of kunifer brake pipe. You will find you have loadsmore pressure after doing this and no detrimental issues with not having the valve.

• Like 2

Did mine after reading this, and I did have a few blocked jets.

Still pretty lame and throwing the water out though. Will have to buy a more powerful motor I think.

Try removing the non return valve installed up by the master cyl. Rejoin the two pipes with some suitable connector. I used a small piece of kunifer brake pipe. You will find you have loadsmore pressure after doing this and no detrimental issues with not having the valve.

This is why i love this forum.

Happy days man.

• Like 1

Nice one, will try it tonight :)

• 3 months later...

This is exactly what I'm looking for, mine dribbled out the driver side, wouldn't even fill a thimble - Passenger side doesn't work at all.

Had to drive to work tonight with a grease smeared windscreen cause I didn't know they wouldn't work!

Also found out that the wiper motors are now making a LOT of noise, maybe caused from using during icy/cold conditions putting strain on the motor?

Read somewhere that the wipers might seem free but might actually have a tiny bit of ice freezing them to the screen and then the motor has to pull it free ( personally didn't notice this ) but that seems to be a common theory.

Any idea on how easy/much they are to replace? They still work, but want to prepare for the inevitable :p