RIP 911

Ekona

I'd still happily have one, but I do see why some people are up in arms about the change to smaller all turbo engines. I've been much more interested in the Cayman since the 981 was released anyway... happily that's a more realistic purchase than a £90k 911 (Realistic price once a few options are added). I'm sure both the Cayman and Boxster will follow suit to 4 pot turbos in the next year or two. It's the way all manufacturers are going.

It could be worse though... could be electric! :D

Edited by Paddy78
  • Like 1

yeah, after all a lot of what makes a porsche a porsche is still present and correct - flat six engine, slung out behind the rear wheels. obviously still looks the same.

No, thats what makes a 911 a 911, every other Porsche has had a different format and has been better for it IMO. The 911 is an amazing piece of engineering, no doubt, but it makes you wonder what they could have developed if they started with the engine in a more realistic position and a bit of weight over the front wheels. Like they did with all of their other awesome cars in fact, hw good would a Cayman with 50 years development be?? :eek:

With variable vane, twin scroll and 7/8 speed twin clutch gearboxes the compromises with turbos just arent there anymore and the benefits are massive - huge torque over an entire rev range, instant response and unbelievable fuel economy (I got 32mpg on a run the other day with 430hp), so why not?

Its different from the move from Air Cooled, the character of the cars changed when that happened (I think they became GT cars instead of sportscars), and I think it will probably be bettererer unless you love 911's so much you have a tattoo of one :lol:

• Like 1

The problem is the technology and additional complexity never ends. I believe some of us are still mourning the loss carburettors?! I certainly am! It hasn't been a case of endless improvement - perhaps in terms of reliability (not wanting to start an IMS argument) but the sound? The feel? The experience? Not so sure. Worst offender is the 1700kg Cray computer that is the GTR of course...

Totally different car and market to the 911 but I think the GT86 was a great big "up yours" and shows the future direction of what we should be looking at. Lower power, lower weight, more slidey fun and cheap to buy & run. Yes it's a sales disaster here but more popular stateside with some keener pricing.

Porsche is moving with the times, but if the crowding of the stands at Salon Privé was anything to go by, the Singer 911s are what people would actually buy over the 918 (amazing in the flesh btw), Carrera GT and GT3.

I believe some of us are still mourning the loss carburettors?! I certainly am!

Apart from flaming inlets and the smell, why? As far as I remember carbs are a bloody nightmare, particularly if you want to start dicking around with your engine. Or starting from cold, or starting from hot, or changing altitude, or changing fuel type, or running in hot weather ......... you get the picture ;)

• Like 1

On a different note, I dont understand why they got rid of reflector strip at the rear of 911s post 993. The separate tail lights just look terrible. It was a real signature of the 911 and it it just went and I cant remember any journos even mentioning it. I know the 991 c4 has a vestigal light strip, but its not the same.

Anyone feel the same?

On a different note, I dont understand why they got rid of reflector strip at the rear of 911s post 993. The separate tail lights just look terrible. It was a real signature of the 911 and it it just went and I cant remember any journos even mentioning it. I know the 991 c4 has a vestigal light strip, but its not the same.

Anyone feel the same?

I kinda know what you mean, but then I see the 997.2 and the 991 C4 cars and I just think the strip looks awful. It doesn't suit the car at all.

I think it was more a style thing, as there were plenty of cars that had joined up lights or lookalike panels on the rear in the 80's, and I think the styling just died a death.