Revup owners that have fitted pre 05 plenum?

R88RPE

Hello, recently I have been looking at adding some more mid range torque to my GT4 . Im not one to be bouncing off the rev limiter when I drive hard so I feel im not getting the most out of this engine (I would prefer a extra 10tq lower down than a extra 10hp at 7000rpm)

With this in mind I have been doing some research into the mrev2 lower plenum (http://www.motordyne...pID=149ℑ=0) which is basically a moddified pre 05 lower plenum. I have been trying so find out what these modifications are and so far I have found out from a few american owners clubs that 5mm is shaved off the two "snouts" to aid airflow to the front two cylinders.

Has anyone else done this to a stock revup? and will it make any difference without a remap (im not going to remap until I have exhaust ect fitted in a few months time).

I know that the plenum spacers have no effect on the stock revup engine, this has been proven a few times in america but they apparently do make a difference with the pre 05 collector or mrev2 fitted.

Is it worth fitting a spacers while im fitting the lower collector? They are sold together here with 'substantial' power gains http://torqen.uk/ps/...pacer&results=9

This is the spacer on its own http://torqen.uk/ps/350z/engine/plenum-spacers/264-350z-de-motordyne-engineering-516-basic-plenum-spacer-md-ps-b.html?search_query=plenum+spacer&results=9

Here is a dyno print out I found with a stock run, with mrev2 and then with mrev2 and spacer. As you can see the car with the mrev2 does have more power through the range until it drops off at 6000rpm, this is where the mrev2 and spacer come in.

bottompage_large_zps3fr88cqx.jpg

So basically... can anyone on here confirm that there is some benefit to fitting a modified lower collector or mrev2 to my uprev engine without a remap, and if there is, should I fit a spacer to. Thanks!

Edited by R88RPE

I've got one fitted, but I had mine done at the same time as a spacer, sports cats and remap, so difficult to pinpoint how much this added (if anything). I think you need a spacer to get any benefit from it and probably a remap is required too?

Thanks guys. How much power did you make Paddy? Im planning those mods eventually.

Has anyone fitted a pre 05 lower collector to a uprev engine with or without spacer? I have a pre 05 collector sat here, im going to mill 5mm off the first two cylinder snouts as per mrev2 and port and polish it at work. BUT i only want to do this if its beneficial, if its going to have a negative effect I wont bother.

Thanks guys. How much power did you make Paddy? Im planning those mods eventually.

Has anyone fitted a pre 05 lower collector to a uprev engine with or without spacer? I have a pre 05 collector sat here, im going to mill 5mm off the first two cylinder snouts as per mrev2 and port and polish it at work. BUT i only want to do this if its beneficial, if its going to have a negative effect I wont bother.

I made about 283 WHP, which I think is around 310 engine once you minus what you lose from the drive train... I think I also gained about 30 Torque. Not huge numbers, but you can't really make big numbers on an NA Zed.

I do not have the exact numbers for you, however, what your are proposing is not cost effective, however shaving 5mm off the two "snouts" to aid airflow to the front two cylinders as a DIY is cost effective. I have done a few and the bench work is circa 1 hour. :thumbs:

310bhp are great numbers for a na z I'd be over the moon with those! What exhaust do you have paddy? I haven't had mine on the dyno yet but I'm going to do it before I change anything so I have a rough baseline figure.

Zmanalex, did you do this to your own cars? Any noticeable diffences regrading power loss or gain?

Edited by R88RPE

I think im going to get a dyno done as standard, then one with the lower collector fitted to see what the gains and losses actually are on a stock revup.

Would anyone else be interested in these results?

Edited by R88RPE
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

I think im going to get a dyno done as standard, then one with the lower collector fitted to see what the gains and losses actually are on a stock revup.

Would anyone else be interested in these results?

did you get around to this? any numbers orr......

Pre revup lower plenum has different length runners than the revup I believe and its that that gives the differences, shaving the snouts is just a little extra and very easy to diy.

I have a spare lower, pm me and ill check which it is and can do the mrev mods for you if you like if its previous and then post if off to you, obvioualy youd have to pay me for the lower though ;)