Insurance loading after fault claim with 9 years protected NCB discount.

Mack

Unfortunately this year has not been a good one.

Firstly someone backed into my car in a car park and I claimed on their insurance.

Secondly I made a stupid mistake which resulted in a claim on my insurance.

I have 9 years protected NCB discount. The cost of the claim on my insurance was £970. I have heard to expect around a 40% loading at renewal time. Can anyone shed some light on the expected uploading?

Mack

Edited by Mack

Two accidents in one year is definitely going to affect things, but 40% does seem a smidge excessive.

Tbh you should be ringing round the usual suspects come renewal time anyway, so you'll know then. Or even run a fake quote through the comparison sites, using generic Zed and not your own address, then see what the numbers come out at. You'll know what to expect then. :)

I think it will be the case that you may still have your 9 years NCB to apply to any new premium but the annual premium goes up when you declare that you have had 2 claims.

As above. Without the protected no claims bonus, they usually knock a few years off for a claim, but you still get to keep some NCB. I had a claim once when someone knocked me off my motorbike. Due to the insurance companies incompetence it was settled as a 50/50 liability. My non protected NCB dropped from 6 years to 3 years as a result. I cant remember the exact increase in premium due to the claim but I seem to recall it wasnt as much as I expected.

My wife on the other hand, she had a claim the other year for crashing into the back of someone else. She lost 2 years NCB. That and the accident loading caused her premium went from 270quid up to 650quid on her hot hatch. So much in fact she couldnt afford to keep it and had to sell it and buy an old diesel instead.

Each company is different though, so as Ekona said, just do some quotes on the comparison sites and see what they come back as. Its also worth re-submitting the same searches several times over a week. I did this last months for the wifes car insurance and the same company who was quoting £330 on the Monday came back with £270 on the Wednesday. Exactly the same car & details - I just clicked "resubmit search".

Thank you all for the info, its given my some idea where I stand. Thanks Tim for the PM.

Just to clarify the first one when someone backed into my car the other side accepted liability and paid out.

The second one was my dumb mistake, after building 9 years NCD I was kicking myself.

I understand there is a slight loading even when the other side accepts liability. I guess I will find out the full answer at renewal time.

Thanks again for all the info.

Mack

Its really not that bad if someone hits you. I also had a crash but there was no damage and no claim put in so I may be different to you. Do you have protected no claims?

Have you read the title? :lol:

Its really not that bad if someone hits you. I also had a crash but there was no damage and no claim put in so I may be different to you. Do you have protected no claims?

Have you read the title? :lol:

I have now :) shouldn't be too bad then. Just shop around at renewal time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One thing to remember when shopping around, ask your current insurer what the maximum ncb is that they record. I haven't had an accident in 15 years and was looking around last year. I've got 3 cars at the moment so tried the multi car quote and it worked out cheaper with the new companies maximum 8 yr ncb. When I went back to my insurers to get conformation of the ncb they said they only record a maximum of 5 yes, this took the new quote higher than my renewal and I'm now trapped with my current insurer unless I am prepared to initially see an increase of premiums. Robbing bas#ards!

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Bit of a thread revival but incase anyone is interested I just renewed my policy for another year.

I decided to stay with Sky Insurance / Chaucer, I got a cheaper quote else where however I made my decision based on the fact they resolved the claim professionally without any funny business.

In the end the cost was around £100 more than last year.

• Like 2