New 350Z HR has low oil pressure

andyk3090

What sort of miles are people having these issues at ?

it's the 313 HR engine and also the 370Zs that get this issue. the DE engines don't appear to have the same problem.

Nissan haven't issued anything official about it, but the part in question is now reinforced, so that kinda hints at a problem they have found and the fix being a new, stronger gasket.

I don't think people know enough about it to know if there is any reason why some will fail at a certain mileage while others keep going just fine (101K on mine and no sign yet of the fault). At the moment I get the impression people expect every HR to fail at some point and they are only just getting to the mileage where it starts to fail.

I've wanted a proper sports car all my life and have saved up long and hard for this, so I plan to keep saving and get it replaced as a precautionary measure. Given that the 350's have an oil pressure gauge on the dash I guess you could just keep an eye on that then get it seen to as soon as the pressure starts to drop. It's the 370Z owners I feel sorry for as they have oil temp instead so there is no visible sign that the gasket has cracked. No oil leak, no low oil level, but oil starvation when the problem has got really bad and we all know what that does to an engine.

Maybe this was the reason my engine went but it was a DE engine, has there been any reported DE failures here or across the pond?

I can't find it now, but I got it into my head it was 350Z HR onwards. that said the guy quoting part numbers just specifies 3.5 and 3.7L engines

http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/99607-zed-owners-must-read-p0011-p0021-caused-by-oil-gallery-gaskets/

I remember reading your thread and finding that as a result of what you'd gone through.

sso what is a typical Indi total fitted bill for preventive upgraded gasket? - Anything else that is dismantled that should be changed at same time?

It has cost me around £400 for parts and the usual I have seen is around 10 hours garage labour form other posts. So I would have thought around £750 labour and £500 parts at a garage depending on where you go. That is including £250 for the timing chain and water pump parts while I am doing the gaskets.

A lot will depend on the garage, I know Sly at Kaizer has quoted me a lot less than a grand and looking at the certificates on his wall today I see he's been in the top 30 Nissan mechanics a few times!

So if anyone is looking at this by all means get a quote from a local garage, but then get one from Sly too. By the sounds of it you could save money by driving half way across England and also get your car tended to by an expert, win win :)

A bit of bad luck may delay the repair. The Jiffy bag with timing chain arrived from the USA had a rip in the top. It contained the packing slip, but no chain.... Hopefully it will get resolved, but means another 2 week wait.

Andy

A bit of bad luck may delay the repair. The Jiffy bag with timing chain arrived from the USA had a rip in the top. It contained the packing slip, but no chain.... Hopefully it will get resolved, but means another 2 week wait.

Andy

Noo.. that sucks!

At least there was no argument, they have put another in the post today with a new tracking number. Can't complain about customer service, some UK companies would have said I would have to wait for an investigation to be carried out or claim of the courier no doubt... The original bag was ripped open at the top then poorly taped up. I wonder if it was customs that did this.