Asbestos

Alex350z

A bit random but thought someone might know. My dad is concered that the insulation in the loft might contain asbestos, ive done an awareness course at work and im sure its just fibreglass wool, but im not sure. Can anyone put our minds at rest?

Cheers :)

1439892117430.jpg

1439892307884.jpg

How long has it been up there ? if its post 1999 then not Asbestos

It wasn't used for general insulation that much more heat related lagging/insulation boards and tiles but normal rule of Asbestos is if its there and seems in good condition leave it alone. I have had 2 houses ( Married Quarters) had the asbestos ripped out and turns the house into a scene from ET with the poly tunnel

• Like 1

Thanks guys, the fibres are all in the air, so i think its fibreglass also.

You wouldnt really see asbestos fibers there microscopic

I think your safe there although do wear a mask is still a horrible iratant

Edited by nissanman312
  • Like 1

I can remember working as a electricians apprentice when I left school - Quite enjoyed until we spend a few days ripping out mineral insulated cable from the roof space in a OAP's home in the summer in the Forest of Dean - the fibres were horrible -then joined the Army - was safer !!

That's fiberglass I work in demolition and get drilled with courses

If your not sure get it checked but I'm 99.9 percent that's fiberglass

Yup, I would agree with this and was even about to post the exact same figures! :thumbs:

And to be fair it's only the really really old Asbestos that's properly dangerous. The (relatively) newer stuff is Crysotile and the fibres are curly and much more likely to get caught in your nose etc, than go down into your lungs.

Obviously not something you want to try out either way mind