internet help

sinbad

Can anyone help pleeeeeeese! Im having problems with my pc/internet.

Im running Vista and the latest IE.

Sometimes my computer loses its connection or at leats it says it is. Say i was on google and click a link, IE will just give me a message saying it was unable to establish a connection and does not show the page. I then go into my router which says im connected???

What i usually do to fix it if i can is go into the router, disconnect from the isp and then reconnect. I then close IE, re-open IE and this sometimes fixes it. However because i was on google (or whatever site at the time i lose my connection) i am then unable to go back on that particular site. Which is alittle annoying especially when im haf way through reading a post on here.. :rant:

It does this at least 2-3 times a day. If i leave it a few hours, it sometimes kind of resets and lets me go on on the websites it previously wouldnt let me on. its seriously peeing me off. Ive tried firefox but thats worse if anything. why does it keep disconnecting even though when i go into the router its not actually disconnected?

:surrender: its :angry::rant:

I have the same problem, but it doesnt effect all of the net. For example last night I could not connect to google but could get into gmail! I thought it was probably a DNS thing and after about half and hour it went away and I could get onto google again. No idea what caused it, I was too tired to play about with pinging things or doing any other investigation. Disconnecting from the net and reconnecting did nothing, show it wasnt my connection at least. Seems it was a more major ISP type problem :rant:

Can anyone help pleeeeeeese! Im having problems with my pc/internet.

Im running Vista and the latest IE.

Sometimes my computer loses its connection or at leats it says it is. Say i was on google and click a link, IE will just give me a message saying it was unable to establish a connection and does not show the page. I then go into my router which says im connected???

What i usually do to fix it if i can is go into the router, disconnect from the isp and then reconnect. I then close IE, re-open IE and this sometimes fixes it. However because i was on google (or whatever site at the time i lose my connection) i am then unable to go back on that particular site. Which is alittle annoying especially when im haf way through reading a post on here.. :rant:

It does this at least 2-3 times a day. If i leave it a few hours, it sometimes kind of resets and lets me go on on the websites it previously wouldnt let me on. its seriously peeing me off. Ive tried firefox but thats worse if anything. why does it keep disconnecting even though when i go into the router its not actually disconnected?

:surrender: its :angry::rant:

Are you physically connected to your router or by wireless?

yup, Netgear. I thought it was pretty decent when i bought it. Thing is i never used to have a problem. When i first installed it, it ran without fault but as time goes on its getting worse! I'll try updating the firmware/drivers but somehow i dont think it'll help. I'll let you know.

using a netgear rp614 V3 router (wired), never had any trouble in over 2 years.

have you tried using firefox instead of IE ?

(never used it myself but might help)

it could just be a combination of XP/Vista, your ISP, dodgy router or cable modem :headhurt:

which firewall and antivirus you running ?

using a netgear rp614 V3 router (wired), never had any trouble in over 2 years.

have you tried using firefox instead of IE ?

(never used it myself but might help)

it could just be a combination of XP/Vista, your ISP, dodgy router or cable modem :headhurt:

which firewall and antivirus you running ?

Agree that is a Netgear router that works well having owned one myself, but some of their later wireless models are pants. :dry:

• 4 weeks later...
I have the same problem, but it doesnt effect all of the net. For example last night I could not connect to google but could get into gmail! I thought it was probably a DNS thing and after about half and hour it went away and I could get onto google again. No idea what caused it, I was too tired to play about with pinging things or doing any other investigation. Disconnecting from the net and reconnecting did nothing, show it wasnt my connection at least. Seems it was a more major ISP type problem :rant:

If it does that again (selective working websites), i found deleting my browser history sorts it.

Internet Explorer

Tools > delete browser history > delete all.

Try deleting internet files as mentioned and also delete anything in your temp folder (some nasty programs can hide there).

Scan your computer with spybot (updated) to see if that throws up anything.

If that doesn't work - how long has this been happening? If a few days, try a rollback and don't apply any updates for a while - its possible a Windows update is causing a problem.

Can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

I suppose as a quick fix you could open a CMD prompt and try IPCONFIG /RELEASE and the IPCONFIG /RENEW.

You could also try alternate DNS servers - put them into your internet settings on your PC. That would help rule out ISP problems.

None of that works, maybe try updating the firmware of the router.

I suppose as a quick fix you could open a CMD prompt and try IPCONFIG /RELEASE and the IPCONFIG /RENEW.

Eh?

You could also try alternate DNS servers - put them into your internet settings on your PC. That would help rule out ISP problems.

What? :wacko: