Mtec (or other) protective coating?

MDMetal

Anyone get the protective coating on their discs? I'm tempted by the black, looks like with dimpled/grooved it would highlight the details and also keeps the hub black which is always nice. Does it last? (obviously not when it's in contact with the pads)

I just fitted some Endless swirl grooved discs/rotors. Before I fitted them I painted the swirls and other areas that usually rust with enamel paint and it's still there and preventing rust so I'd imagine it's the same with the dimples/grooves :teeth:

What's the best approach to take? I have OEm front discs and the hub area is coated black and looks nice, some cheapy DBA rear discs which rust on the hub and look naff, I want new discs all round and was hoping the black on dimpled/grooved would look the works and also stop and rust in the non contact areas

Dba's arent really cheapy discs, but have suffered the same on mine tbh (dba's). You will get it on most discs imho, i have always found a good coat of smoothrite keeps the rust at bay :)

Only way to actually not worry at all is get 2 piece discs with aluminium bells :)

Edited by Jetpilot

Just get a rattle can of VHT paint, your own choice of colour and spray your new discs yourself. You need to clean them first then mask off most of the brake contact surface area (doesn't have to be perfect the pads will soon clean the overspray off. You'll need 2X 400mm cans for 4X discs. Also use plenty of copper grease on the faces that contact the bearing and wheel or spacer if you use them. :teeth:

EDIT: I also used a small artists paintbrush and a squirt of paint in the cap of the VHT paint to fill the grooves/swirls/dimples

Edited by Floydbax

• 1 month later...

I have just fitted the exact mtec grooved and dimpled discs all round with genuine new Brembo pads ,I opted for the black coating on the discs and was impressed withthe actual discs quality and the finish ,they have only done 300 miles thus far and have sat around a fair bit as the car is only a cherished toy not a daily but can say there has been no deterioration in the protection coat at this point .

Only pain is the disc come fully coated and of course the contact area has to be worn off by driving a bedding in ,oh my ocd suffered an upset with the worn finish covering my mint refurbisheded rays alloys wash them every time i drove it until they bedded in and the paint was gone.

I did buy direct from Mtec then checked ebay price from mtec shop and was very pi**ed to find £49 cheaper by buying from ebay and they would loose fess from that as well,i did csall and disscuss this and to their credit they refunded my card the difference so my advice is buy via mtec ebay shop or at least check the prices and match

• 2 weeks later...

I went with Torqen's stoptech deal and went the slotted and drilled route people seem to rate them better, the coating is more sensibly applied as well as the drilled pattern being more what I wanted. Can't say what the actual performance difference is but I'm pleased with them :)