any comprehensive leather interior upgrades, incl dash?

GriffGTV

impressive! - anyone with dashboard itself covered?

The above leather is very impressive, seems a shame though to leave those massive slabs of plastic that face you though as you mention :(

I alcantara wrapped them :)

350interior3_zpsb542761c.jpg

350interior2_zpse1d68808.jpg

Edited by Jetpilot
  • Like 3

impressive! - anyone with dashboard itself covered?

The above leather is very impressive, seems a shame though to leave those massive slabs of plastic that face you though as you mention :(

I alcantara wrapped them :)

350interior3_zpsb542761c.jpg

350interior2_zpse1d68808.jpg

You do that yourself?

• Like 2

...mmm, very 70s supercar :) - I imagine wrinkling and getting glue where you didnt want it was among many issues?

Well clearly covering in leather by a professional must be practical - how much dissasembly was required and what is situation with airbag?

Not sure you saw much alcantara in the 70's, velour yes, alcantara no ;)

It was a wrap so self adhesive, no wrinkling but patience was required as if it folded back onto itself, that was it.

Its pretty easy to get those panels out, 30 mins tops and i am sure the airbag would have no issue blowing off a bit of sticky wrap.

with a little effort the 350 cab can be transformed from heavily criticised to a really nice sportscar cab - Manufacturer should take note - put some detail into door cards and leather trim + dash in alcantara / suede / hide + upgrade remaining hard plastics on 2 or 3 style options (eg carbon look with satin finish) and replace silver plastic with satin alloy, maybe even some brass accents a la TVR

While they are at it they could refresh their NVH skills and isolate tyre noise from cab and free up exhaust and induction, add 50hp & 75 ft lb and lose 3 cwt..voila ....jobs a goodun :)

with a little effort the 350 cab can be transformed from heavily criticised to a really nice sportscar cab - Manufacturer should take note - put some detail into door cards and leather trim + dash in alcantara / suede / hide + upgrade remaining hard plastics on 2 or 3 style options (eg carbon look with satin finish) and replace silver plastic with satin alloy, maybe even some brass accents a la TVR

While they are at it they could refresh their NVH skills and isolate tyre noise from cab and free up exhaust and induction, add 50hp & 75 ft lb and lose 3 cwt..voila ....jobs a goodun :)

And after all that it would cost twice as much, and no-one would buy it.

I have a build thread but no build photos as such, i just followed a dash removal guide from somewhere, centre consul out, speedo cluster out, two small plastic trims by a pillars, drop the lower dash panels and your at them. No fading and if there was would just replace, was £70 tops. No blistering but was thorough with the prep, all panels thoroughly cleaned of any silicon dash sprays etc

Cant find the place anymore, bought from ebay whilst searching for something else, try self adhesive suede wrap, self adhesive alcantara wrap, something along those lines, you need to search ebay worldwide though as was from china or similar.

...do you really think so? - ok the power and weight were a little tongue in cheek, but the rest would elevate the car some way and cost what, $150 in mass production?

I actually agree with this, but there really arent many Japanese cars with anything but plastic dash's. Maybe is a culture thing, hardly ever see many imports with leather seats and spent over 2 years going to the trade auctions in Southampton, i guess they just dont like it over there.

30 - 45 mins tops, its just bolts and screws.

• Like 1

40 mins, thats worth knowing, so you could see a professional get sufficient access to cover in leather if preferred?

Yes, think you are right, its a cultural thing, not cost - just look what TVR achieved with their Sagaris & Tuscan interiors - even featured own design and machined knobs - fed up with mass produced, same old - Pagani must be TVR fans judging by their interiors...mind you, they know how to charge and carry the weight :)

Production isn't the big cost, it's design. Choosing leather that doesn't wear and can be sourced for the same quality over millions of cars, that doesn't fade or stain or crack. Metal that doesn't rub or tarnish or creak. Enough carpet put in the right place that isn't going to make everything bulge or add loads of weight.

Japs are tight, that's why they like plastic and cloth. They also like ripping the car to bits, so why pay more for expensive bits you're only going to throw away? It's why Jap cars aren't as popular over here in the EU as they used to be, we don't want that any more: We want cars that have all the toys and lots of lovely leather bits and we're prepared to pay for that.

For anyone considering having a dashboard trimmed in anything, here's something to consider:

Given the power behind an airbag deploying, it'd have no trouble at all punching it's way through a coating of leather or Alcantara or whatever. :thumbs: Plus if I trimmed a dash (for example), there'd be a stitched seam not too far from the airbag anyway, so that would give way first and allow the airbag to operate properly.

The airbag covers in the seats have no special stitching or anything like that - the 'bag simply has enough power behind it to get to where it's needed.

Personally, I'd be wary of "Alcantara" that's anything other than genuine... primarily because Alcantara was developed primarily for automotive use, which means it's been UV treated. Most, if not all, of the "cheaper" types out there don't have that treatment and WILL fade in the sunlight. Some may fade in months, others may take a year or two, but they'll all go the same way.

The genuine stuff has longevity built in, which is one of the reasons it's so damned expensive...!

• Like 2

Hi H&S, its good that you take an active interest in forum discussion in your field of expertise, regardless of business potential.

When I finally get a 'keeper' I hope to visit you to discuss possible upgrades

David

• Like 2