Under arch lip = Dirt trap

Chris Wiltshire

Cleaned the lip under the rear wheel arches yesterday ( the part that gets rolled) basically got a rag and scrapped the inside o.

I couldn't believe how much dirt, lumps of mud etc came out.

May be worth a try when you wash your car next!! Save any unwanted damp dirt in your wheel arch and weight! aha. :)

This is a well know rust trap on the earlier Z's. Water and dirt get between the inner and outer wheel arch panels causing rusting. Had a price of circa £1400 to sort it a couple of months ago which is better than the £4k quoted to replace the inner and outer panels.

I've bought some rubber sealing strip from Amazon which I'm going to fit around the lip on both wheel arches along with some mastic sealant to provide a degree of protection.this is the rubber strip I settle on.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B008FQ5BVY?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

• Like 1

Thinking about it. When i tidied my shed i found a tin of waxoyl underseal. Ill brush some of that over it. Its brilliant stuff. Unlike underseals that harden overtime and peel then trapping moisture. This stuff remains oily

As a precautionary measure, when cleaning my Zed, I always try to clean the rear arches dirt trap areas.

Twice a year, I wire brush the area and then use this, .www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-protection-and-rust-treatments/hydrate-80.

It's a brush applied product with excellent durability!

Woth spending a little time and effort to try and keep the dreaded rust at bay!

Edited by Ridz
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I done this when I first got my zed ..... Wheels off , proper scrub down , then underseal on the whole arch . There is also a dirt box that fills up on the lower front part of the rear arch , pull the plastick bit off and it will shock you how much is in there !!

• Like 1

Are you talking about the part where all the mud flicks from the rear wheels onto the lower section of the rear bumper? Mine has the NISMO spats fitted so would you think that would act as protection from the the debris collecting in that area?