Jump to content

docwra

Members
  • Posts

    4,891
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by docwra

  1. Can someone tell me when an old fashioned "removal" became a "delete"?
  2. Probably wont be able to come, but might it be worth a link to some further information for those who dont have a clue what LakeZ is??
  3. They actualy seem to be fairly similar money year for year as well. Pretty obvious move if youve just had kids/bought a dog/need to move dead bodies regularly.
  4. Whatever. I encountered a GTR at Bedford Autodrome the other day, let it past to see how badly it would elave me behind, to my surprise it let me back past 5 corners later. Not everyone is an F1 style driving hero
  5. Whatever, at the moment he cant drive the car at all for fear of losing the ability to brake completely, at least this way it will get him to the garage. Ive been driving with it like that for the last 6 months, Im magically not dead yet. The fault is already disabling all of the ABS/VDC anyway, thats why the lights are coming on, maybe if he just crosses his fingers and hopes it might go away huh? Christ only knows how all those drivers of motors without VDC and ABS even hope to keep their cars on the black stuff, Im surprised you dont have to take a different test for that kind of car Its a damn sight more useful than "check your tyres havent changed size" - do you really think that overnight the tyres would change diameter enough to fire the ABS all the time? Really? Vik - fair enough, thats three things it could be then, and by the sound of its its not the switch. There you go OP, your already further down the road.
  6. Not the most helpful answers Ive ever read chaps. The lights flicking on indicate that the ABS unit (probably the ECU) itself is stopping working - you get the same lights when you permanently disable ABS/VDC. Obviously going off and coming back on again isnt really ideal, its a fault as well, nothing to do with your driving, tyre choice of day of the week. My guess would be at the unit itself, its probably worth rolling down to Nissan and having them plug it into CONSULT, but I dont know the ABS ECU would be part of the diagnostic. In the meantime, open the bonnet, take off the brake fliud reservoir cover thing and pull all three of the plugs on this inside wing, this will bring all of the lights up but will permanently disable ABS/VDC and mean you can drive the car again. If you need to replace it, do NOT buy new from Nissan, I cant imagine a secondhand one would set you back very much
  7. NEVER! I actually know the guy that runs the BP so go there, the Shell is known for card fraud and with a JDM ECU and a penchant for high revs I defintiely wouldnt risk it. If I cant get super I just use one of my other cars until I can The poll actually came from somethign that Sarnie said, that as we havent seen many engine failures its probably blown out of proportion. My counter was that if everyone used super all the time (like Nissan say) then you wouldnt see many anyway, thought it would be interesting to see what the split was. If only 5% of cars are ever seeing low octane fuel it stands to reason we wont have seen many failures.
  8. Actualy holy @*!#, thats a proper install as well. My cousin had 600 and something in a Civic, dont think Ive ever seen anything shift like that in my life. The fact he was happy to do it down bumpy B roads was even more astonishing, you can make these things work if you set them up right
  9. I once sent a team to fix a Puma that had been parked covertly in Iraq by some nice chaps in black masks ........... until the Americans landed a Blackhawk on it. Yep, they didnt notice the 60ft long, 7 tonne object beneath them as they gently came into land
  10. I supply the guys who fix the choppers for CHC and Bristow (and the Army, SAR, Air Force training, Oil exploration etc. etc.). Bottom line is that generally if a helicopter fails, people die, the pilots did well to get them down. Not a near miss as such, but I remember being asked to be "ballast" for a test flight from one of the aforementioned companies aircraft that had been in for overhaul a few years back, it was only when we were about 100ft in the air I realised what "test flight" meant, that they werent sure everythign was working Fortunately all was good .......... apart from two weeks later when the same aircraft was grounded for a loose rotorhead nut
  11. Its a private poll Dave, people cant see what you put unless you stick it down here too
  12. Following on from another thread, weve all seen the discussions over fuel and how using 95 RON possibly, might, could do, perhaps cause detonation damage on the VQ engine, particularly at higher revs. I dont want to start the discussion all over again, but Im interested to know who has actually put 95 RON in their car, and if so, how often. Hopefully it will be a private poll so people wont see if you take the cheap option every time If the numbers come out that 50% of owners use 95 RON regularly then we know its not a major issue, if its a lot less then there could be something there. Mod Edit: Polls are completely annonymous so please don't be afraid of answering truthfully. No-one will know which fuel you use unless you post something in the thread below. So there is no fear of being mocked one way or the other. Lexx
  13. Hmmmm. I feel a poll coming on
  14. But if 99% of the people who have 350Z's listen to what Nissan said and use the right fuel then theres not going to be hundreds of failures, is there?
  15. Whats actually annoying is seeing a load of people who arent really quite sure what they are on about giving advice on an issue that they arent sure about either. Having lost engines to detonation myself, and knowing theres no way of telling what damage has already been caused I definitely wouldnt be risking the £3K+ repair bill if something is going to drop. People still bang on about clicking axles like they are the antichrist, but what actually happens with them? Your axles click, big deal. Ive just lost an SR20 bottom end because a ring broke up, probably from damage caused before I put the engine in my car, certainly not from me running it, but hey, its not as bad a as few clicks at low speed is it? Guess what as well - SR20's also have knock detection but for some reason it didnt seem to work in this case, like it didnt on the EJ20 and CA18 Ive also lost through detonation. All Im saying is go in with your eyes open, manufacturers dont tend to reccommend a higher octane fuel just for a chuckle. Chances are the engine would be fine, hell, Id probably even bet on the fact you wont see problems but if someone openly admitted using the wrong grade of oil youd walk away, wouldnt you?
  16. Anyone any good with photoshop? "I select ........... the pecker of that 50 year old dead camel thats been laying in the sun for a week"
  17. Oooh, a clever troll look. Seeing as you are clever, perhaps you might appreciate the pointlessness of asking people who clearly dont have the same engine as you do whats gone wrong with said engine. I reckon a 350Z would need somewhere in the region of 700hp to see 196mph, so youve either a massively overreading speedo, got the most powerful VQ Ive heard of, or a JZ/RB/LS, in which case Id advise asking owners of that engine what the puddle of water under your car is.
  18. My log file will have exceeded the size limit by now then I would probably walk myself, I really dont think it would be an issue but there are plenty of others around
  19. Anything can look good, Id go bronze myself though. Some to think about: More on www.rimtuck.com
  20. Yep. And I would add Im surprised that the Z is quicker at any speed TBH, the 335i I drove was faster than mine pretty much everywhere and obviously weighs more than a 135. Seeing as it went round Laguna Seca faster than a 370, and has 295 lb/ft at 1500 rpm and there are at least 10 videos showing 135's going past 350's on youtube, Id say you were a bit lucky
  21. The handling, ride, turn in, acceleration and basically all aspects of the cars dynamics wont be so good. The car will also look like its got cheap wheels on it, and Im afraid I dont see how £700 is less than £400 TBH You asked, I gave you the advice, its up to you whether you take it or not but I dont know many people who havent regretted buying cheap wheels.
  22. Thats about £2K too much for me, £6.5K would be more reasonable Id say.
  23. Just to stir things up a bit, when does a massive benefit to members cross over and become trading? As Dunc has said, he would charge a small, one off fee to design a spacer, for instance, but if the members can then buy the spacers for 35% of what you would pay another trader then surely the benefit far outweighs the £30 Dunc will charge for the CAD file? its business he's gaining from the forum, Its though traders that help cover the running costs of this forum otherwise we would have to charge a membership fee. I'm sure you like it free. I dont think thats what hes saying, if he does the CAD design ONCE, then the club take it to a production company and administer the sales themselves, hes only making back money for his time on the CAD file. The club can make £10 profit per unit for instance and the members still make huge savings. Everyone is a winner, no? Another example is a club photographer - he goes to events at the clubs cost, and then provides pictures to the members for free - if they want hi-def or a number of pics they can pay a little extra for them. Once again, members, club and photographer all benefit and no-one loses out. Thanks for the lesson in car forum financials mind you, its something I dont have any experience in.
  24. Shhhh. The R34 is a bit more interesting than this TBF as well
  25. Is there a Hyundai forum? Maybe we should go and spam over there with threads about 350s It makes me laugh that two people that don't have Zeds anymore themselves have commented about talking about other cars on here And despite being long term members and posting on here a lot, Ive never seen any pics of their cars, I dont actually know what Ian drives and I only know Ekona drives a Beetle because I asked him. I reckon Ive seen and heard enough about AMT's Hound Eye that I could pick it out of a lineup of identical cars.
×
×
  • Create New...