Jump to content

martinmac

Ex Team Member
  • Posts

    27,445
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by martinmac

  1. We are discussing a meet for food and drink with Stew and Vik in the next fortnight if I ever get a night in port.
  2. Pop over and say hello some time.
  3. Oh yes, that pic was from a while ago.
  4. As siad on the other thread. I think I saw you a couple of weeks ago.
  5. I have even bump started a tug.
  6. Do you ever park in the port area, I think I spotted you a couple of weeks ago.
  7. All available from our lovely traders.
  8. Is this any help. http://www.mini2.com/forum/maintenance-mini-care/148139-bmw-mini-coolant-leak.html
  9. It would take me all day to type that. Copy and pasted from a reliable source.
  10. There is no "fundamental" reason why bump starting a car will damage any component any more than the usual starter motor starting, but that is with the caveat that the battery actually has enough power to power the engine and fuel systems as normal. And of course, the reason you usually bump start a car is because the battery is flat! If there is insufficent voltage to correctly operate the fuel system and EMS (usually requires >8volts) then the manufacturer cannot warrant what could happen, with things like partial fuel pressure, or stuck on injectors etc, all of which "might" cause damage to your engine. So to play safe, they recommend you do not bump start the car, but jump start it (which obviously will ensure there is enough voltage for the systems to function). If you had say just a failed starter motor but the battery and rest of the electronics was fine then you could happily bump start your car no issues. In fact, every time you drive your car you actually "bump" start it many many times, as lifting fully off the accelerator these days results in a zero fuel quantity injected, and the engine is actually not running (turning yes, running no)...... ;-) Of course, if you have an Automatic transmission, you cannot bump start it, because it relies on hydraulic pressure to engage and hold a gear, and the hydraulic pump is driven by the input shaft, which is not turning (hence no pressure availible) with the engine off. Manual gearboxes are not damaged by bump starting. Those fitted with oil pumps are really there for cooling purposes and lubrucation under large torque loads, neither of which is an issue for the couple of secs and low load of a bump start (an engine takes about 2kW to start it, my car puts over 150kW through the transmission most of the time without any issues!) Finaly, DMF's, yes you could theoretically damage your DMF if you continuously bump started it for years on end, but it would be a slow wearing rather than a sudden failure, which would also probably be true to the clutch center plate damper springs. Editted to add " old cars were of course easy to bump start, as the carb had a nice bowl full of fuel, so you didn't care if the fuel pump worked at key on, and the only electrics needed was about 2 amps to get the coil to fire the sparks, so even with a fairly flat battery that couldn't manage to drive the starter motor, you could get a decent bump start out of it. Modern cars now pull over 30 Amps as soon as you unlock the door (sometimes 100's of amps, no names mentioned LandRover, oopps, sorry.... ;-), so unless your battery is charged, the voltage will sag immediately, and no amount of bump starting will work"
  11. I have done it in the past and got away with it but its not reccomended.
  12. I was discussing this last night with someone you may know who works on porkers. He suggests its not a good idea as the surge when you start it could spike the electrical systems.
  13. Hi and welcome to the forum.
  14. Not a problem Chris, your space is alteady allocated next to the garage at the hall which has a lekky supply.
  15. Now thats a scary image.
  16. Hopefully there will be a few turning up who dont own the cars anymore. I have just been over to the pub and its a real bonus, the food and service is second to none. I think that I have got the format sorted this year. The hog roast guy is a friend of a friend and they do a great job. http://www.anhogroast.co.uk/
  17. The forecast is actaully looking very good hence this thread. The numbers over the 4 forums are also very pleasing.
  18. Dont worry, the catering and entertainment will make it a great weekend. Anything I do is always OTT.
  19. You can park on the pub car park with me then mate. Avoids the speedbumps. Superb mate! I'm not sure whether the missus is gonna come as camping isn't her style as she cannot use straighteners, hair-dryer(with a jet out a 747 in it) etc No probs Neil, The two cars on the pub carpark will be cool with the banners. They will be very safe, I usually forget to lock mine and have never had any problems.
  20. You can park on the pub car park with me then mate. Avoids the speedbumps.
  21. Nice one.
  22. Hi and welcome to the forum. If your username is a clue to your location there will be a lot of us meeting up locally at the end of June, pop along.
  23. I have just been talking to the guys at the parachute centre ( hic) and they have a charity pack available. If people wanting to do a jump wish to get sponsorship for a local charity I will set it up and get a justgiving site sorted.
  24. Hi and welcome to the forum. Get along to a show or meet so you can get to know the guys.
  25. He is a member and trader on here if that helps.
×
×
  • Create New...