Jump to content

twobears

Members
  • Posts

    2,124
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by twobears

  1. Thanks for the 'kind' offer SMD. Knew I could reply on you for help Thanks Graham. I will try PMing NeilP and see if he's around
  2. It seems that my ancient central heating boiler is in its death throes so I am looking for advice on replacements and hoping that someone on here will be able to point me in the right direction. We have no mains gas here so my choices appear to be either an oil or LPG boiler. Since we already have an oil- fired boiler, a fairly new oil tank and all the relevant pipework I think it would be more sensible to go for an oil boiler again even though I understand that they are more expensive than the LPG ones I also have to decide whether I want a combi boiler or not. I think I do want to go for this option and ditch the hot water tank if possible but I want to make sure that I am making an informed choice. I am going to speak to a couple of firms tomorrow but would prefer to arm myself with a bit of unbiased information before I ring them, so if anyone on here can help I would be very grateful. Thanks I should also mention that I had a new bathroom installed a few years ago and the shower has never worked properly. Despite numerous repeat visits by the local firm who installed it, they have never, ever managed to fix it properly and most showers involve either getting out of the shower, sopping wet, to turn the Salamander pump back on because it has stopped the water coming through or asking someone else to wait near the airing cupboard to switch the pump back on every few minutes I was going to say that having a shower shouldn't involve two people but I am pretty sure that will be taken the wrong way
  3. Aaaw, so cute
  4. Ha ha Hugh, no choc ice for you I'm afraid 'cos it's a real live plumber - yay I had given up waiting and assumed that he wasn't going to turn up. I managed not to kiss him when he walked in Might be speaking too soon mind you. We'll see ....
  5. Sorry, should have said that, due to being in the middle of nowhere we haven't got gas (or mains drainage etc) and the boiler is oil-fired. Oh hang on, someone in a white van has just pulled up outside so I am off to investigate in case it is a plumber ... back soon
  6. I've sent you a message flexib
  7. Despite making several phone calls I have had no luck finding someone to fix or replace my boiler. One chap said that he would get someone to call me by the end of the day but no phone call so far. Another chap promised to come round and take a look but he never turned up. This is what normally happens when I need a tradesman and I don't really understand why? Do other people have the same problem or is it something that I am doing wrong?
  8. Not even near any trees! Are you sure you haven't got a target painted on your bonnet that is only visible to avian eyes?
  9. I feel your pain. I've got a pair of collared doves nesting on the driveway and they are making a hell of a mess of the side of my other car. They are the sweetest little birds though so I forgive them for all the extra cleaning I have to do and at least they've not despoiled my beloved Zed
  10. atkin, not too far away. Please can you PM me his name? Just off to my yoga class now but will check when I get home. Thanks Dedman, long way from London here but thank you anyway
  11. atkin666, I'm in East Yorkshire NeilMH, thanks for that. I'd not heard of Checkatrade before
  12. We have an ancient boiler that came with the house and which I think is now on its last legs as the hot water tank has started kettling and today excelled itself by showering the airing cupboard with scalding hot water Time for a new boiler if it can't be repaired I guess I know nothing about the subject though and wondered if anyone had any recommendations as to the best way to find a decent tradesman? I live in what most people consider the back of beyond and it is hard to get anyone except cowboys (who presumably ride part way on their horses before getting into their white vans) to even come out and quote for most jobs. I was ripped off by a builder last year (had to pay someone else to put his mistakes right ) and want to avoid the same expensive mistake. I am not even sure what sort of tradesman I need to repair/replace a boiler. Do they call themselves heating engineers maybe? If so, is there a way of finding out how good they are before engaging them?
×
×
  • Create New...