Warning lights appeared during spirited driving!

HassanZ

Hello all!

I was driving normally today until I had a sudden urge to put my foot down on a straight road.

As I was driving in a 'spirited manner' the EML and EPS OFF lights (others may have triggered too) appeared on the dash and stayed on. When I stopped at a set of lights, I switched the car off and switched it back on and all the warning lights disappeared.

What do you think was the cause of this?

Also, sometimes when I drive fast in a straight line, my handbrake light triggers. When I touch the handbrake lever the light disappears. Is this something to do with the sensor or is the handbrake activating?

Your help is very much appreciated.

Kind regards,

Hassan

Just top up with DOT4 brke fluid. A trip to Halfords and topping upto the level will probs sort your issue if it doesn't let us know. :thumbs:

The weird thing is I weren't even using my brakes, I was driving 'quick' in a straight line when all the warning lights triggered.

Would this also be related to my handbrake warning light?

I will get some DOT 4 and top it up and see what happens. Do you recommend a certain manufacturer for the DOT 4?

Just top up with DOT4 brke fluid. A trip to Halfords and topping upto the level will probs sort your issue if it doesn't let us know. :thumbs:

The weird thing is I weren't even using my brakes, I was driving 'quick' in a straight line when all the warning lights triggered.

I will get some DOT 4 and top it up and see what happens. Do you recommend a certain manufacturer for the DOT 4?

Its because when you put your foot down the fluid will move in the resevoir, because its low it will trigger the sensor.

Doubt if your rears would cause it to be that low, should have been topped up when they done your discs and pads.

Its because when you put your foot down the fluid will move in the resevoir, because its low it will trigger the sensor.

Doubt if your rears would cause it to be that low, should have been topped up when they done your discs and pads.

Hmm...is it dangerously low? At it's current level could I cause any damage to anything?

How often does brake fluid typically need topping up?

Is this also related to my handbrake light coming on also?

When I top it up when the engine is cold, what level do I fill it up to?

Many thanks for your help, I really appreciate it! :thumbs:

fill it up no higher than the label that says "MAX"

its not dangerously low, its still above the line that says "MIN"

as for the hand brake, could be the cable needs tightening, see if the fluid issue/fix cures it, if not then its going to be something else.

fill it up no higher than the label that says "MAX"

its not dangerously low, its still above the line that says "MIN"

as for the hand brake, could be the cable needs tightening, see if the fluid issue/fix cures it, if not then its going to be something else.

Thanks for your help Rich :thumbs:

I'm guessing the brake fluid expands when the engine is warm right? If I fill it up to MAX when the engine is cold, wouldn't it cause the fluid level to exceed the MAX threshold when the engine is warm?

Just fill it to the Max mark, that's what it's there for.

Thanks for your reply.

Right I'll get some DOT 4 from work tomorrow and top it up.

I hope that is the reason the lights triggered, I hope it's not a major issue or an electrical fault!

If I carry out diagnostics on the car, would it bring up codes pointing towards 'low brake fluid level'?

Just top up with DOT4 brake fluid.

DOT4

I'll give you one guess.

:blush::blush::lol::lol::lol: HAHA Cheeky sh*t :p

Thanks for your help mate! :):thumbs:

:headhurt::lol:

Yup - that'll do.

Thanks mate :thumbs: Let's hope I don't blow my car up by mistake :lol:

I just got this from work. Is this the right brake fluid and the right quality?

photo11.jpg

your Z appears to have fallen over and shrunk :p:teeth:

:lol: See my Z is special...wanna swap? :teeth:

• 5 months later...

Hi everyone!

Bringing this thread back for a second...

I have the exact same problem with my Zed but looked in the manual and it says either DOT 3 or 4 and never to mix the 2. It also says that DOT 3 is filled at the factory.

Should I take the advice of everyone in this thread and use 4? I don't want to cause any damage...

Thanks

Ryan B)