Costs

bytespc

Help....my rear exhaust has broken at the usual place and a trader on here has quoted me a price to repair it and I have booked to have it done but the price is worrying me, I have no refrence to compare it to so don't know if it's resonable or not and as money is squeeky tight due to my ongoing health issues I need to get a really good deal and the best quality resolution to my problem as the car isn't being driven whilst it has this problem, sorry for the ramble but I thought you guys might be able to shed some light on what you'd be prepared to pay for a repair, I would of course dearly love a full stainless replacement but that just isn't an option with my budget.

Thanks for your considered input.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Where is it blowing? On the mid pipe section of the joint or rear box? How much are you being charged? You can probably get a cheap OEM replacement on here depending on what you've been quoted. :)

I've been quoted £200.00

Edited by bytespc

I recently had the end pipe that is connected to the back box welded up for a tenner locally. Can't get much cheaper than that!

You what.....strewth that's ubber cheap

Where is it blowing? On the mid pipe section of the joint or rear box? How much are you being charged? You can probably get a cheap OEM replacement on here depending on what you've been quoted. :)

Sorry didn't answer the first bit it's on the back box pipe before the flange on the bend, the quote I have is for removal resleaving / welding and replacement and 3 hours labour ?

Assuming its the same repair that many have had done, that sounds far too much. I would get alternative quotes.

What have others paid ? , this quote is from a trusted trader on this site...oh bugger now what do I do ?

I know it sucks, but wouldn't it be almost worth getting a 2nd hand one like others suggest? I know you might just end up having the same problem, but a bad weld could just as easily happen. Hope you find a worthy solution, for good money.

Assuming its the same repair that many have had done, that sounds far too much. I would get alternative quotes.

What have others paid ? , this quote is from a trusted trader on this site...oh bugger now what do I do ?

who quoted you then?

£300 gets you a new branded back box.

#teamtarmac

why did you book the work first, then think to maybe question the price!?

Anyways £300 is rather pricey, so politely cancel the booking and instead take it down to a local exhaust place and get them to have a look at it.

Bear in mind a repair job will likely only last a few years, so depending on how long you plan on keeping the car you might be better off buying a full stainless replacement, cobras and scorpions are only a little more than your first quote for repair.

For an extra £99 you could get a scorpion exhaust and I'm pretty sure Jetpilot on here was selling a magnaflow exhaust for not much more than £300? I'm surprised a reputable garage on here would take your money like that when they know you're better off having a new exhaust.

why did you book the work first, then think to maybe question the price!?

Anyways £300 is rather pricey, so politely cancel the booking and instead take it down to a local exhaust place and get them to have a look at it.

Bear in mind a repair job will likely only last a few years, so depending on how long you plan on keeping the car you might be better off buying a full stainless replacement, cobras and scorpions are only a little more than your first quote for repair.

I booked as I trusted the seller and not feeling at all well and knowing no better. Cobras I've seen are around the £500 mark plus fitting for y pipe back.

who quoted you then?

£300 gets you a new branded back box.

#teamtarmac

Abbey

Arse!

But yeah, happy to help out if you buy a second hand one.

What I will say with Abbey is, maybe they were just covering them selves. I.e. if they say it will be an hours labour, and you turn up and it took 3, you'd be pi**ed. I guess they can't give you an accurate quote with out seeing it.

• Like 1

I would like to amend my first post after having spoken to Scott via email it would appear I misheard and the price quoted was in fact £200.00 not £300.00.

I a still going with the local company for £45.00 plus vat and will keep you updated.

Thank You

Edited by bytespc
  • Like 1

OK ..back from BMC and what can I say they loved the car ( always a good sign ), turned out the system had to come off as the crack went all the way round apart from a nails width holding it together with the surface rust, all welded together and back on for £54.00 took a bit longer than an hour, the car is transformed :)