Clutch Woes

neilpeel2007

I've had my Z for about 5 months and loving every moment although, one thing which definitely detracts from the whole experience is the weird noises and vibrations on my clutch pedal.

I know there have been some posts mentioning that there has been one or two problems with iffy clutch bearings etc (I have an 04) but can anyone shine a light on whether this is what I've got or something else? -

There is no noise when pedal used in neutral but around the point where the clutch bites, when releasing, the whole pedal vibrates under foot and it makes a noise like a shudder or, dare I say it, a growl(?) It is only noticable in 1st and 2nd. If you drive off really sedately you can avoid it but any kind of stick and it gets worse. Point is it p****s me off cause I love the car apart from that. Clutch works fine otherwise, no slipping but has quite a high biting point on the pedals travel.

Anyone got any ideas on what this might be?

Unfortunately I have got more on my mind today as a bl**dy great Royal Mail cash truck just wrote off my front wing and drivers door. Door will hardly shut. At least the guy driving it admitted responsibility so hopefully all will be well. Took my mind off the clutch I suppose..

Seems like a mixed bag of responses, anyone else got a juddering clutch? I don't think the guy who owned it before me ragged it as it was mint and only had 18k.

I'm more inclined to think its the pedal and its bits and pieces as the clutch functions well albeit with a high bite point. Thoughts anyone?

The throwout bearing noise is quite normal - sounds a bit like a rattle, apparant when foot is off pedal, tends to go away when you depress the clutch.

The juddering, shaking, etc is a likely an indication that the clutch has been slipped excessively and as a result the flywheel and pressure plate are like heat checked. This causes hot spots, which ultimate results in an uneven mating surfaces, and that will cause the vibration and juddering you are feeling. A bit like rubbing something against sandpaper

Unfortunately I have got more on my mind today as a bl**dy great Royal Mail cash truck just wrote off my front wing and drivers door. Door will hardly shut. At least the guy driving it admitted responsibility so hopefully all will be well. Took my mind off the clutch I suppose..

Seems like a mixed bag of responses, anyone else got a juddering clutch? I don't think the guy who owned it before me ragged it as it was mint and only had 18k.

I'm more inclined to think its the pedal and its bits and pieces as the clutch functions well albeit with a high bite point. Thoughts anyone?

:angry: thats not good, an accident ! sorry to hear that :headhurt:

the thrust bearing is commonly noisy as adam says, pedal up and you hear it whirring slightly - pedal down and its quiet

BUT there shouldnt be any judder, this could be as adam says the clutch has been slipped and overheated causing the friction plate to warp

If i do hold it on a steep hill it makes an awful wherring sound followed by a nice smell :scare:

:nono:

New clutch time.........

Price on an oem?

I'm sure nissan charge about £1k including labour. I'd get an aftermarket one from Adam or Bigphil :)

Sounds like a good plan, how would I know that this is the cause though. Maybe a new flywheel...? Suppose the best idea would be to have someone look at it. Does anyone know of any non-Nissan garages worth their salt in the Glasgow area? Will have to get someone to fit any parts I might get.

If i do hold it on a steep hill it makes an awful wherring sound followed by a nice smell :scare:

try that lever over by the passenger seat. All you have to do is pull it up hard. then take it out of gear and that horrid smell will go away. So will all the noises and that lovely Mr Clutch will last lots lots longer!!

Ming the helpful

PS If you are struggling with the above look in the hand book under

HANDBRAKE