Time for a new clutch! Advice needed...

Jimmy

Hi fellow Z members,

Unfortunately my clutch is slipping :wacko:. When I accelerate the revs picks up but the speed takes it time to climb.

I remember reading a while back about the newer 350z's having a lighter clutch in comparison with the earlier 350z's? Mine is the earlier 350z and I would love to have a lighter clutch as mine is really heavy!

Since I will have to get the clutch changed:

1. Which is the best clutch to go for and from where can I get it?

2. What price will I roughly be looking at for parts and labour?

3. Do I need to change the dual mass flywheel?

Any advice much appreciated :)

Please don't laugh at me if I'm a total idiot, and newb, but what about an Exedy clutch and lightweight flywheel from LUK?

Might be a bit pricey, but the clutch is avout £250 from what I remember, and I can't recall for the Fly. Labour wise they ahould be able to do it in less than 2 hours so I'd bank around £100?

Luk dont do a lightweight fly that I an aware of, Exedy organic would be a good shout though, 3 hours miniumum to do the job.

Speak to some traders about parts options pending on driving preference but I would definitely consider a lightweight flywheel.

Hi fellow Z members,

Unfortunately my clutch is slipping :wacko:. When I accelerate the revs picks up but the speed takes it time to climb.

I remember reading a while back about the newer 350z's having a lighter clutch in comparison with the earlier 350z's? Mine is the earlier 350z and I would love to have a lighter clutch as mine is really heavy!

Since I will have to get the clutch changed:

1. Which is the best clutch to go for and from where can I get it?

2. What price will I roughly be looking at for parts and labour?

3. Do I need to change the dual mass flywheel?

Any advice much appreciated :)

Hi Jimmy, the earlier cars that have the DE engine have a different clutch to the later HR cars both run a dual mass flywheel. These also wear so when it comes time to change the clutch you will normally need to change this as well.

Many owners use this as a chance to upgrade to a single mass lightweight flywheel which with its lighter mass allows the engine to rev more freely.

We sell a complete uprated organic clutch kit and single mass light weight flywheel from Xtreme which has been very popular since its release http://www.350z-uk.c...nc-smf-350z-de/

We can also supply the OEM spec Exedy kit with either an OEM dual mass flywheel or single mass lightweight flywheel at a competitive price. All in stock for next day delivery.

2 to 3 hours should see the clutch changed if its a competent mechanic.

Please get in touch if I can help further :)

Edited by Ewen@Clark Motorsport

Another +1 for the Exedy clutch here, I ran it on mine on road & track and it was a very nice piece of kit. Good feel, nice bite, not heavy at all.

I would also definitely pair it with a lightweight flywheel at the same time, for the performance benefit at pretty much zero extra labour cost it's an absolute no brainer.

• Like 1

Get the Xtreme clutch / smf from CMS, one of the best things I've done to my car. :)

You will get a little more clutch rattle but a lot more performance and if you can hear the rattle, all that means is you need to buy a louder exhaust. :p

• Like 2

Another +1 for the Exedy clutch here, I ran it on mine on road & track and it was a very nice piece of kit. Good feel, nice bite, not heavy at all.

I would also definitely pair it with a lightweight flywheel at the same time, for the performance benefit at pretty much zero extra labour cost it's an absolute no brainer.

I will take this on board Dan....my clutch did something weird the other day so i think it will get changed later this year.

Hi Jimmy, the earlier cars that have the DE engine have a different clutch to the later HR cars both run a dual mass flywheel. These also wear so when it comes time to change the clutch you will normally need to change this as well.

Many owners use this as a chance to upgrade to a single mass lightweight flywheel which with its lighter mass allows the engine to rev more freely.

We sell a complete uprated organic clutch kit and single mass light weight flywheel from Xtreme which has been very popular since its release http://www.350z-uk.c...nc-smf-350z-de/

We can also supply the OEM spec Exedy kit with either an OEM dual mass flywheel or single mass lightweight flywheel at a competitive price. All in stock for next day delivery.

2 to 3 hours should see the clutch changed if its a competent mechanic.

Please get in touch if I can help further :)

Hi Ewen, thanks for the information. I would be interested in the OEM spec Exedy with either the Dual Mass Flywheel or the Single Mass Flywheel.

What are the pros and cons for DMF and SMF?

I would love to buddy but what would be the pros and cons of the DMF and SMF?

Pro of SMF is that more power is transmitted to the wheels, so basically it's like free horsepower. Your revs will also rise and fall more easily, so heel and toe is easier (IMHO) and the engine will feel more responsive.

Con is that it can rattle a bit when sat in neutral, and you need to give a fraction more revs when pulling away. You get used to the latter in about 3 mins though.

The rattle isn't anywhere near as bad as some make it out to be, even my missus made no comment over it on any car I've had it done to including the Zed. :)

• Like 2

The pros of the single mas flywheel is it lighter weight compared to the heavy dual mass flywheel, this allows the engine to rev a lot more freely.

The only real downside if a bit of idle chatter which if you drive in traffic a lot could be annoying but the feedback we get from customers is the benefits far out weigh this noise.

I'm sure others will give their opinion :)

Edited by Ewen@Clark Motorsport

Pro of SMF is that more power is transmitted to the wheels, so basically it's like free horsepower. Your revs will also rise and fall more easily, so heel and toe is easier (IMHO) and the engine will feel more responsive.

Con is that it can rattle a bit when sat in neutral, and you need to give a fraction more revs when pulling away. You get used to the latter in about 3 mins though.

The rattle isn't anywhere near as bad as some make it out to be, even my missus made no comment over it on any car I've had it done to including the Zed. :)

That sounds very tempting! :D. Is there a video or anything for me to hear the rattle?

The pros of the single mas flywheel is it lighter weight compared to the heavy dual mass flywheel, this allows the engine to rev a lot more freely.

The only real downside if a bit of idle chatter which if you drive in traffic a lot could be annoying but the feedback we get from customers is the benefits far out weigh this noise.

I'm sure others will give their opinion :)

Which has a longer life, DMF or SMF?

Neither would be of any consequence, unless you're planning on keeping the car for 100K miles more.

The SMF will be more prone to warping and heat spots, but as long as you don't let your clutch die completely before changing then it won't be an issue. :)