Confused - Need some ICE buying advice?

moff

Hi all,

About to order a new Zed and need some advice.

My requirements are:

- Sat Nav

- Full Ipod functionality

- Bluetooth

I was going to order the Nissan Sat Nav as it looks great in the dash and works well, and get a Denison but I have heard that the sound quality of the Denison is pretty poor?

So it got me thinking....

I have currently got the following setup in my S2000:

1. Alpine 9850Ri

2. Genesis Profile 16 Components

3. Genesis Profile 2 Channel Amp - powering from speakers

4. Radio Controls adapter

5. Powered Sub

I want something with similar sound quality and have had a look at the all in one big screen units that does Sat nav, but I have a few questions:

1. Can I get a system that works with the Nissan bluetooth?

2. Will it work with the steering wheels controls for both phone and stereo?

3. Do I need to upgrade the stock speakers (are they BOSE?)

My options seem to be:

1. Sat Nav - all in one system with an adapter for the controls - any advice?

2. Get the Nissan Sat Nav and keep my current HU - will it work with the Nissan bluetooth?

Thanks in advance from a very confused Zed newbie!!

kenwood 7029 :thumbs:

kenwood.jpg

satnav check

bluetooth (if not go for the 7200 definatly has it) check

ipod check

Does it work with the Nissan supplied Bluetooth?

Does it work with the phone and stereo controls on the steering wheel?

Thanks

kenwood 7029 :thumbs:

kenwood.jpg

satnav check

bluetooth (if not go for the 7200 definatly has it) check

ipod check

Does it work with the Nissan supplied Bluetooth?

Does it work with the phone and stereo controls on the steering wheel?

Thanks

Does it matter whether it works with the Nissan bluetooth? As long as it has bluetooth capabilities who cares. My experience of the nissan bluetooth is that its utter rubbish. Probably miles better off with aftermarket bluetooth. All imo of course :)

Good point :)

Right, I think that someone already pointed me in the direction of this:

Pioneer AVIC-D3BT

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer ... -5752.html

Which I think will be perfect? I will be hooking it up to my 80gb ipod.

However, I did see this:

Pioneer AVIC-HD3BT

http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/pioneer ... -5856.html

and wondered if it was really worth it...? Probably not, but it's always good to hear from any experiences.

My next question is where is best for fitting - I drove a Zed with the factory Sat nav and really liked the positioning, is it too low when it replaces the stock HU?

Any pics?

As I am also buying the 19" Nismo alloys, think I will just get the HU and then upgrade amp and speakers later.

How easy will the install be with stock speakers, and hooking up to the steering wheel controls?

THANK YOU :thumbs:

:scare:

The more I read the more complex this is becoming!

I was on the 350Z-Tech forums doing some research and all does not seem simple.

Apparently it is a nightmare trying to hook up a new HU if the car has the BOSE system installed. Due to the different ohms of the BOSE and Pioneer HU the sound quality is not as good i.e. lower volume.

This is the post - a reply to someone complaining about the sound quality of their Pioneer all in one.

i do installs installs at ccity and i come across this issue with every type of amplified system. you may come across the weak sound relating to the resistense between radio and speaker. the radio you have has an 4ohm load your bose system is either a 8 or 2 ohm load. most likely its 8 which is causing weak sound due to twice the resistense. bose systems come all in one. same with infinity, harmon kardon, monsoon, and jbl. your pioneer is sending a different audio signal than the original and not as fluent as the original and that is why you get interference. engine noise, wisssing, and static are common when putting aftermarket radios on factory amplified systems. theres really not much you can do except replace everything.

Does anyone know anything about this?

Starting to think that I should just accept the stock HU and buy the stock Sat Nav, which doesn't really help as I wanted a fully integrated iPod installation :(

The other solution is to get the HU but replace the speakers, install a 4 channel amp and install a mono amp for the sub - but that will cost ££££££££ :headhurt:

Hi Moff

I think loads of people on here have got the standard bose amps and speakers hooked up to aftermarket headunits. I am sure there's a post on here somewhere that tells you what you need. It's an adapter that enables you to plug after market units into bose and from what I have read works fine.

I think the Pioneer unit looks really nice (HD3BT). I know it's a lot of money but seems to do everything and bet the bluetooth would work well. You can select people from your contacts on-screen I think. Also what interested me about it was you can get a software add-on that does speed camera's so you literally would have an all-in one solution.

I really want one but I guess I will need a 350z first :) Still hopefully in the new year after Feb!!

Have a search through this ICE Section and you should be able to find the info about the adapter and harness you need!

PS - Noticed you have a white one on order, can't wait to see pics of that as not seen one yet! :thumbs:

After a lot of research I placed this post on 350Z-Tech:

am looking to buy the Pioneer AVIC D3BT for my car which has BOSE. I need sat nav, full Ipod compatibility, bluetooth and would like to retain full use of the steering wheel controls.

As I understand from reading this thread, to ensure good sound quality and retain steering wheel control functionality I also need to purchase the following:

1) PAC ROEM-NIS2 to enable the HU to correctly connect to the stock BOSE speakers / amp

2) http://www.activetuning.com/products/multiple/PESWIX/ or PAC SWI-X Steering Wheel Audio Interface

Please can someone confirm that the above is all that is required?

Just looking for confirmation that I have found the correct adapters.

Car order placed through my company, but I won't get it until 8th April... which is AGES :(

Organising my ICE and wheels prior to delivery though!

No worries,

Just had a quick look for you and these links might help:

Headunit Adapter link:

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=8028

Steering Controls link:

http://www.350z-uk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9343

Sorry I can't be of much more help. Maybe if you get it all sorted you could let me know as I definitely would like to do this when I get a Z.

I made a call to Alpine UK a few months back to discuss Nav options etc and it seemed the best idea was to go for a standard car (as in without Nav) and replace the stereo with an all in one. I was originally asking if you could have a Alpine Unit in place of the Stereo doing the music and replace the factory Nav screen for an alpine unit for sat nav. He said the only way to do thhis would mean that the voice command from the Nav telling you which way to go would not auto lower the music volume and that it wouldn't be the best option. After that I decided when I look for a car I'll go for one without Nav and add in my own.

Hope you fololowed that, if I can be of any more help let me know.

So are you having to wait until April for a white one? What wheels you going for Nismo's? Thats going to be the longest wait of your life but great when it arrives! :thumbs:

Thanks - will take a read of those posts.

Too many compromises going for a non-GT car for me i.e. Cruise, htd seats etc.

Going to get the adapters in my post above and the Pioneer Sat Nav HU.

Apparently Pikes Peak White is available to order now as a metallic option.

The lease on my S2000 ends on the 8th April, but I have to place the order 3 months in advance - company policy. So I planned to use Nov / Dec to decide what car to get.

Drove the TT3.2 (hated it), Zed roadster (not a fan), S3 (nope), Z4M (loved it but I am not going to do too many miles to afford it!).

So decided on the Zed Coupe with in white, still unsure about interior, but now think I will go for the grey and I will get the 19" Nismo's from BigPhil :)

I think it will look amazing!

The BOSE set-up has a few quirks as follows:-

1. The output is at a different level, meaning you need an adapter to get an aftermarket head unit to work with the BOSE amp.

2. The BOSE amp is constantly on, for the purposes of the hands free technology in the headunit. Depending on the quality of the grounding in individual cars, this is audible when the headunit is off through floor noise coming through the speakers (white noise)

3. The components aren't the best quality, so upgrading the head unit and using an adaptor actually does nothing for sound quality. It is all lost through the adaptor, amp, cabling and speakers. A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link.....

4. Steering wheel controls can be maintained using different adaptors, but this is usually through the aux port on a headunit. This means that no other aux options can be used with the head unit if you wish to have steering wheel controls

5. The hands free kit technology is in the BOSE head unit and as such when removed you remove this capability

If you want a better sound, that you will truly notice, sound deadening behind the front speakers is about the only thing you can do if you retain any of the original components in the chain. You can add functionality, get iPod and bluetooth and a prettier look through after market head unit. Zedrush's seems to work. I would recommend Alpine everytime as well.

HTH. :)

H5,

Makes sense. I think although I will start with a headunit when i get my Z in time I'd like to swap the speakers and amp out.

It's a shame really as whilst you can always do better I am sure BOSE could have adone a reasonable job if they wanted. My fiance's car has Bose. It's an Audi Cab and to be honest it's actually quite good. It's good enough not to want to replace everything anyway. However we had an A4 saloon as a loan car which had BOSE and it was awful. If I had paid £500 for that from Audi I'd want my money back! I think they must have just put better systems in the CABS on the audi's.

A bit off topic but hey!

Anyway, let us know what you chose Moff!

Cheers guys

I got an Alpine IVA-D105R, got an Alpine blackbird sat nav unit with a docking station and got the bluetooth adaptor to for £1250.

Sounds and looks great got it fitted professionally so all the hassle was taken away from me.

Could try going down that line if ya wanted

H5,

Makes sense. I think although I will start with a headunit when i get my Z in time I'd like to swap the speakers and amp out.

It's a shame really as whilst you can always do better I am sure BOSE could have adone a reasonable job if they wanted. My fiance's car has Bose. It's an Audi Cab and to be honest it's actually quite good. It's good enough not to want to replace everything anyway. However we had an A4 saloon as a loan car which had BOSE and it was awful. If I had paid £500 for that from Audi I'd want my money back! I think they must have just put better systems in the CABS on the audi's.

A bit off topic but hey!

Anyway, let us know what you chose Moff!

Cheers guys

They often boost the bass and mid range frequencies in cab's as they are the ones lost most easily, often giving an artificial sense of a better system than a steel top. But at the end of the day BOSE just stick their name on whatever junk another company chucks in.

The speakers in another 'premium brand' car with BOSE stuck on them cost the manufacturer 6 euros...... :headhurt:

Hi Askmenice - I looked at that Alpine unit. It looks really nice and like the way the nav unit comes out. Do you know if you can get a speed camera add-on/software upgrade for the Alpines as thats something I quite like the sound of? Too many speed cameras everywhere now!

Hi H5 - That would certainly make sense as I guess they expect to encounter more noise in a soft tob with the roof down etc. It certainly sounds a lot better. More than just a tweak. Wouldn't surprise me if it's a completely different system. It's bad that they can get away with it as people tend to expect something special. Having said that I don't rate BOSE Home Systems that much either (from what I've heard so far) although the IPOD Speaker systems souds quite good! Sorry off topic again!

Hi magrillz, if you buy the alpine blackbird nav unit it comes with a free speed camera update for a year. Even works if you are listening to music it will alert ya when there is a speed camera around.

Excellent didn't realise that. I thought I looked on the web and didn't notice anything about speed camera's, do they refer to them as something else like pointss of interest?

I'll have a look at that then, are you pleased with it over all. Looks like a nice unit but do also like the pioneer. Does it have built in bluetooth?

:thumbs:

Hi magrillz it dont say anything about it as i recall but the free download voucher is in with the sat nav. Once you download it you go to edit on the nav menu and update points of interest, its well explained so shouldnt have any probs.

Yeh i'm well pleased with it, the guy in the shop did have a pioneer one on display and that sounded really good to just your preference as to what one you think looks best.

I had to buy an alpine bluetooth which again works really well and is hidden away under the unit.

Thanks askmenice.

I quite like the look of the alpine and now I know it can do speed camera's thats quite tempting. I will try find a dealer with both in so I can go and compare. Will try and look before Christmas. Not getting a car until after my wedding in Feb so have a few months to decide yet. Cheers mate :thumbs:

Any reason why nobody's mentioned the Kenwood 7200? I've been about getting one for a while, but the price keeps falling so I'm still hanging on. Built in sat nav and ipod control, and bluetooth add on box sorts out the phone. Mapping is on SD card and you can add speed camera database as well.

Not really had much more of a look yet - price now is about £750 off internet.

Dave

Any reason why nobody's mentioned the Kenwood 7200? I've been about getting one for a while, but the price keeps falling so I'm still hanging on. Built in sat nav and ipod control, and bluetooth add on box sorts out the phone. Mapping is on SD card and you can add speed camera database as well.

Not really had much more of a look yet - price now is about £750 off internet.

Dave

quite a few people have the kenwood mate :thumbs:

the lz-702w, KNA G520 are also popular

I never seen the kenwood on the display at the ice shop i got my alpine i saw the pioneer and alpine and took advice from the guy in the shop who showed me the alpine he had in his merc. Just loved it so went with that ....kenwood tho does have a good reputation and seems a fair bit cheaper.

just had a look at the Kenwood DNX7200. I must say it looks like very good value. Even if you add on the £80 for the bluetooth it's still good. Seen one place doing it for £720 with the bluetooth after a quick search (justkenwood.co.uk).

Again no mention of speed cameras on the website which surprises me. Do they not like to mention it or something? After all, if it can do it then you would think it would be a good selling point. Can anyone comment on how the speed camera update works and if it's any good? I'm not a maniac or anything just don't want to get caught out.

Also has anyone got the ipod adapter. Just wondered how the interface was on it as thats another thing I seemed to have a strange obsession with!

I do really like it, used to have a kenwood mask unit years ago which was very reliable and sounded pretty good too! It was Minidisc thhough so ended up getting rid!

Sorry to keep asking questions. If I get the chance over Christmas I'll try and visit a few shops and take my ipod to test out the user interface and maybe be able to provide some useful input instead of just asking :thumbs: