Running in New Rebuilt Engine Advice!!!

laytonanthony

Hi guys

Will be getting my engine back Friday and will probably have it fitted back in over the weekend.

My question is how should I run it in. Seen soo many different forums saying run it hard, run it in gradually. Some saying harder the better to seat the new piston rings ect. I understand all engines are similar on principle but surley these vq37vhr engines work on high tolerances so there must be a certain method? Also I would like to know what oil I should run it on for running in, if needed. Thanks in advance for any help or advice.

Ant

Years ago as most of us know, new engines especially on new cars, used to return to the dealership to have the head tightened after the first 1000 miles. We also had to nurse the car for the first 1000 too before opening the full engines potential. Nowadays you can hammer a new engine with no need to return to the workshop. Back to the post, glrnet has given you excellent advice in which fully agree with. Enjoy your new engine buddy. :)

Just do whatever your engine builder said. They have the warranty, and if you break that then you're stuffed.

There may be better ways than what they say, but is it worth the risk? I'd say no. Tbh though as long as you don't go screaming the tits off it then I can't see too much going wrong. Maybe the engine might last 100K miles instead of 200k miles, but so what?

With the Landy's rebuilt engine I had running in oil for 500 miles, then put in normal oil. The only real instruciotns were not to labour it (ie not too low revs).

Granted a 1980s Land Rover engine is a tad different, but I'd imagine the process is similar.

Spoke to my engine builder today and also Opie oils. As is only the bottom end rebuild and tolerances are so tight in these engines there is no need to use running in oil. Just use standard oil for 500miles then do another oil change. hopefully will be back in by next weekend! once its ran in i will be buying a supercharger kit of Adrian!!!

• Like 1

As above, follow the engine builders advice but I thought you need to use a lower grade break in oil as a good fully synth would actually give too good lubrication to allow the freshly honed bores and rings to bed in.. also for the first couple of hundred miles try to vary the rpm to avoid the engine wearing in to one rpm area. This is only my opininion and I am not an engine builder.....

With all modern engines the tolerance's are set so as the engine requires pretty much no run in period, ring seal will be achieved in a very short time anyway due to the machining furnish of the bores, IE quite rough, most race engines are never run in or just bedded with a quick engine dyno run, with modern materials, machining techniques and oils, running in is a thing of the past, and the VQ series is no exception.

Thanks for your advice Ricky.

guys just thought id add the EM manual for the VQ37VHR engine in case anyone ever strips it down lol. Link is here http://www.z-car.com/infiniti/m37x/EM.pdf

Safe to say I now kinda know these engines inside out. Will be getting it back Tuesday this week. Been off the road for nearly 8months!! :lol: feels like im getting a new car again HaHa.