Overheating

Payco

Desperate for some help.My rad and overflow tank levels are fine and I have eased the bleed valve at the back of the bay and there is air and coolant coming out.I am told this is right.I run the car for 30 mins mixed between town and motorway driving and my temperature is fine.After 30 mins or so she hits the redline and I have to drive her at 20 mph to get her home safely.Have bowed out of the Woodman meet tomorrow because the journey is too long and I can't risk the head gasket going etc.Im at a loss of what to do next.Fans are working fine..Any ideas ?.

Edited by Payco

That means you have an air lock. Leave the engine running, open the bleed valve and do some squeezing of the pipes at the front of the engine. you will eventually get the air out. Just be careful not to lose a finger

Remember and put rags around the bleed valve to catch coolant which will spill out. Persevere and you will get it. I had a similar problem a couple of years ago. Takes time but will clear.

Should I close the bleed valve after I have squeezed the pipes or let the car run with the valve open?.Had a little bit of coolant discharge from the valve but no air..

If coolant has been released through the bleed valve it should be free of air. Close the valve and turn the heater on high and fast blower. When I have bled air locks previously I have the heater blower on low speed whilst I squeeze the rad pipes.

Hope you get this working ok. :)

• Like 1

If there is intermittent coolant bursts through the bleed valve then there is still air present. Only once the coolant flows freely should the air be free. Squeeze both the flow and return rad pipes repeatedly you should feel them becoming hot. Check coolant reservoir is full enough to the correct line too. Can take quite a while to free so don't worry. :)

Thanks.Both the coolant pipes are very hot.Have squeezed them on and off for 10 mins.Tried bleed valve open and closed with heaters on but still no heat.Is the problem fixed once I get cabin heat in theory ?.going to have to try tmrw now as going out for a bbq.really appreciate everyone speedy help.Its what make this such a great forum..

Thanks for everyone's advice and help over the weekend. It's what makes this forum such a great place in my opinion. I think I may have now fixed my overheating issues. Took the car out for an hour yesterday. Heaters were working and she didn't overheat. My confidence isn't full restored but I guess there is no other way of knowing until I drive her now..

Thanks everyone..

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

I too have this problem, after a run when stuck in traffic it overheats. fans work, heater works , air-con works. Cant simulate it at home by leaving it on tick over for a while.. I will see if there is air in the system. Is the valce on the back of the radiator?? thanks

• 4 months later...

ok, thanks appreciate your help again Veilside..

Payco, currently having the same issue myself. Have you since sorted it by following previous instructions from the other forum members? Any problems overheating after you bled the valve/squeezed pipes etc..? Any advice would be grateful!

Rich