Fast road geo numbers?

Mattle40

Getting an alignment done next week and I'm after some specs for better than stock handling. Can anybody point me in the direction of a popular alignment spec?

When I was researching for my mx5 there were tons of suggestions but there was one stand out setup that was the popular choice, I've struggled to find that with the Z. Does this mean stock is preferred?

Stock is understeer city.

I'd go with as much front camber as you can get, a couple of degrees on the rear camber, zero toe on the back and 3-5 deg of toe out on the front. Pointy but slidey, should feel lovely :)

You sure you mean 3 to 5 degree toe out?

1 degree = 8mm toe out! on a 18in wheel.

Max toe out I would run would be 2mm which is 0.15mins toe out.

+1 with Mark on this. Run exactly the same toe out in front and 0.08 toe in at rear. I'll not dial toe out at the rear unless it's your plan to dial in oversteer. Camber is always a trade off of your tyre life and type and how much corner grip you want to generate and also your driving style.

TBH there is no fixed magic geo but a constant tweaking to find what you are happy with and how much adjustability your car has.

It's pointless to say dial -3.5 of front camber when you have OEM arms. I suspect that was what Dan was alluding to.

Personally I would say start with the upper range of the OEM geo add good tyres and the go from there if you have just the OEM set up. Doing up bushes will go a long way it keeping the car dialled in too.

We can recommend eg adjustable ARB, coilovers etc when you have specifics of what you want to create or nullify and a list of what you've done so far and current geo.

• Like 1

You sure you mean 3 to 5 degree toe out?

1 degree = 8mm toe out! on a 18in wheel.

Max toe out I would run would be 2mm which is 0.15mins toe out.

Hah, well spotted! That's what you get for not paying attention when you're copying across settings! :lol:

I meant 3-5mm, not deg, correct. I've used both extremes of that on my old car, I used to play around with tyre pressures as well to get the right balance up front. If on stock pressures and assuming decent tyres, then 3mm is probably going to be fine.

Bennet, that's exactly why I don't bother quoting front camber :) I just go as much as whatever I have on front allows me to, which works for me as I've never had anything allowing stupid camber fitted to a car. Running toe in at the rear never feels right to me, so I always leave it at 0 and that seems to work for me. There is no right or wrong setting, it just depends on what the driver is happy with the car feeling like. Some like understeer, some like oversteer, some like neutral.

Wow thanks for the replies. I am running stock ride height.

Id say I'm after a pointy front end and on the neutral side of oversteery at the back. Tbh I think stock settings would be a massive improvement on my current setup lol it's far from "tight" at the minute. Plus the wheel is about 11 o'clock to go straight lol it's long overdue.

But changing geo on the mx5 was like a new car. I know il never get the same transformation as its a different beast but I'd like it to boost cornering confidence.

@Matt: You've answered you question. Stock car stock geo. Use the extreme of the stock settings and dial from toe out and you will be closer to what you are after. Rear toe at 0 as Dan suggests will also help rotate the car easily and encourage oversteer eg lift off oversteer or in the wet which I don't mind as it focuses your mind but it also accentuates rear bump steer which is pronounced with the big tyres I run at the back.

The key is to have a play until you fine the happy medium.