To Decat or not to Decat...

RichCox350Z

Toying with buying/fitting some decats to my DE coupe.

Can anyone shed light on the do's and dont's...? And whats the crack with the EML light coming on after fitting, is this a problem or can it just be ignored/turned off?

Any help guys, would be great!

DO expect it to be a lot louder, and a lot raspier.

DON'T expect to get through an MOT with them on!

I believe the EML light comes on because of the O2 sensors, think you just buy some spacers and that'll fix the problem.

Oh right, is that because the probe on the lambda sensor doesn't quite sit in the exhaust the same, so can't regulate the emissions properly?

Lol, I was hoping for more loudness!! :evil:

Just had mine decatted, you can still drive it in a civilized manner...but that all changes when your heavy right foot touches the loud pedal! It is raspier, but i quite like the sound + it crackles now as well :sly:

As said though, it wont pass mot....unless you have a friendly mot guy :ninja:

Just had mine decatted, you can still drive it in a civilized manner...but that all changes when your heavy right foot touches the loud pedal! It is raspier, but i quite like the sound + it crackles now as well :sly:

As said though, it wont pass mot....unless you have a friendly mot guy :ninja:

I was looking for more raspiness, so bonus! Luckily I'm in the trade so yea MOT is not a problem!!

• Like 1

Most have covered it all but re; the EML light.

It will come on no doubt with De-Cats and I wouldn't advise you to just ignore it as although it will be caused by the O2 sensors at first if you just ignore it then it could be masking other problems that may come up.

Some people use the O2 spacers which are around £12 each from Clark Motorsport which in most cases will work to stop the EML coming on but some have found that they don't work with their cars for whatever reason so not a 100% guaranteed fix although for £24 it's worth a shot.

The only sure fire way to stop the EML from coming on is an UpRev as the mapper will be able to "work" around the secondary O2 spacers stopping them from causing you any issues as I believe they just switch them off. ;)

Fyi ~ you will love the sound if you're after more noise. :evil::D