Brake Fade

Hooch

So I was doing some spirited driving with my mate and his TT and my brakes faded really really badly after a few higher speed stops. I don't think I would have lasted one lap on a track day it was that bad. Had a bit of smoke coming from the discs/pads while I was waiting for it to cool.

The brakes where replaced with black dimond all round with black diamond pads about 8 monthes ago; however, the fluid has not been changed so I cannot vouche for when it was last done.

It did feel a bit more spongy than usual until it had cooled.

Could this alone cause such brake fade after such a short amount of time?

Has anyone else had major brake fade with black diamond stuff?

Edited by Hooch

Spongy pedal no brakes = boiled fluid

Hard pedal no brakes = fade ie glazed pads.

If you have no history of the fluid being changed, start there. Brake fluid absorbs water over time and that moisture has a low boiling point.

Flush with Motul RBF600 or 660 or equivalent will go a long way. Braided lines will firm up the pedal some more and again help a lot.

I can't comment on the black Diamond parts as I've not used them but they are at the cheaper end so wouldn't expect too much from them.

DBA T3 discs and ferrodo DS2500 pads would be my recommendation as I've used them on road and track and have no problems stopping my 400+ bhp zed.

Do you have brembo calipers?

Edited by Sam Mcgoo
  • Like 2

+1 with Sam.

Start with betterave fluid and ss lines but as I've said it several times all these black diamond shiiite and similar are not worth the trouble. You can get high OE quality paid high carbon plain disc for brembo at under £70 a pair from ECP sale and combine that with fereodo DS2500 or pagid RS29, RBF and ss lines it will do fast road all day long and light track day without fade.

By light I mean batches of 3 hot laps on most UK tracks.

The grooving and slotting discs do very little performance gains for our application but the quality of the pad and disc material is more important. The advantage of a BBK is fade resistance due to bigger thermal mass primarily. The physics of the car is still the same.

Another ignored fact to brake fade is just poor braking technique. Even with a BBK pad fad will occur with poor technique.

Yup the expected replys after doing some research. Braided lines and fluid then a hard drive to see if I need to do the pads.

If they are OK I'll wait until they need doing then go for better pads.

Cheers guys.