SPH-DA120 - Questions from a total novice...

Jblonde002

Hi, I just purchased this DPD-DA120 stereo and this SWC fitting kit from incartec. I only purchased the car yesterday (05 Roadster).

At present everything that is in the car is completely OEM (even the aerial!) so I wanted to know whether it is just a case of removing the BOSE 6 CD changer (and tape deck) and then putting in the new stereo and wiring? Or is there is any soldering/splicing involved? My steering wheel has no controls on the left hand side of the wheel, just cruise on the right.

Other really helpful questions that people could help me with are:

1. Where do you run your lightning connector to?
  2. Where did you install the mic and was it hard?

Thanks in advance for any help, particularly if you have any links or pictures to help me!

You'll need to add a ground wire in, there are instructions in here. :)

I'd run the mike under the dash and then up the A pillar, just pull the plastic back a bit and shove the cable in.

I'm puzzled as to how you've got a car with no audio controls on the steering wheel but you do have cruise, as I thought that all Zeds came with stereo controls on the LHS but cruise was always a GT-specific option on the RHS? Not saying you're wrong, clearly I've had that wrong all these years!

I mentioned it to a guy in the audio shop and he was baffled too. Odd. They're definitely not on the front of the steering wheel, I'm wondering if the steering wheel might have been replaced?

I have read through the thread you attached earlier (thanks BTW) but it's this grounding that confuses me slightly... I'm hoping that when the stereo arrives everything is labelled for an idiot.

Theres a link on here to the american forum showing all the OEM cables n colours. You need that. Then just match what it sais on the new cable loom that you get with your new HU. Simples. Oh ye also you will need to connect the "powered" amplifier for the arial. The arial has a booster which is in the boot. So you need this plugged in. Green I think?? otherwise youll have no reception. I ran the mike under the steering wheel dash, then pull back the door rubber just enough to feed the cable inside the piller using a taped up flat screwdriver (otherwise might risk scratching the plastics). Do this until its all the way at the to. The just wrap it around the vizor hinge and clip it on the vizor somewhere.

Good Luck

I had an App Radio unit fitted on mine - must admit took the easy way out - paid for the install. I wanted to make sure it worked as the previous owner had some awful Ripspeed thing in there and the cables were a real mess and the aerial amplifier was not hooked up probably so thought if I'm paying for a decent system I want to make sure it works

I'd be interested to see how you get on with this app radio as I've been considering one of these.

Check mine out at the weekend !

I put my mic just under where the dials are (behind the plastic obviously) but close to the gap at the top of the door of the small glove box above the head unit, so it is impossible to see and was very easy to install. I've got my lightning cable running straight to the glove box :)

I put my mic just under where the dials are (behind the plastic obviously) but close to the gap at the top of the door of the small glove box above the head unit, so it is impossible to see and was very easy to install. I've got my lightning cable running straight to the glove box :)

Yes mate, that's what I'm thinking. In a Roadster my worry is road/wind noise near the mic, so somewhere more central appeals. Would love a pic of its installation location of you can manage it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes mate, that's what I'm thinking. In a Roadster my worry is road/wind noise near the mic, so somewhere more central appeals. Would love a pic of its installation location of you can manage it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll get a pic for you after work tomorrow mate :thumbs:

Don't suppose you managed to get the pic did you? Installing tomorrow I hope...

Sorry mate! I didn't get chance to play on the Z due to plans changing!

I've take a pic below of where the mic is basically, the only thing you need to make sure is that you leave enough of a gap for the door to be able to open and close without knocking the mic, it is very straight forward. :)

mic%20location1.png

You installing this one?

955BD709-812B-4BAC-8704-D6EC7525EAF7_zpsihuvs8tv.jpg

Yes I am... very excited. My issue (don't laugh) is that I have to install this before the wife can found out that I've bought it. Should be a challenge to say the least! Any tips or helkp would be appreciated, I've installed ICE on an Vauxhall Astra, VW Golf, Suzuki Swift and a SMART ForFour before (yep that's my car history!). The moment I saw soldering/splicing/grounding etc I've started to think I may be out of my depth!

Edited by Jblonde002

Quite the dab hand on paint ;) hahaha!!

I also have this very same head unit installed, love it. I made this mod: http://www.350z-uk.c...cing-oe-bose/�� Which has made the system ridiculously loud. I wont dare go over 20 on the volume in case the speakers blow haha.

That's the mod I want to do but I'm just not sure I'll be cutting the right wires, and I've only ever soldered my own finger in CDT lessons back in 1996, so I reckon I'll be ballsing it up pretty swiftly!