Hissing sound from throttle

jayrishi

I was driving the other day down the m25 every time I applied the throttle I could hear some sort of hissing sound or like some air. Once I start putting my foot down it goes away it's only when first applying the gas. Just wanted to know if anyone else had the same issue

Is this the first time you experience this? Does it makes this sound at certain speed only? Do you hear the same whilst the car is not moving ie revving engine only? Sounds like exhaust leak to me. Could be sorted out with simple welding at your local exhaust centre. Or it might be one of those flexi mesh which will involve changing the complete section.

Couple of ideas..

Since you've mentioned the exhaust, just have a look at the exhaust sections for soot deposits at the joins.

Where it connects to the Y-pipe use exhaust gasket sealant, my one dripped at that part when the car was idling.

But if it's coming from the engine bay you may just have a loose pipe or a punctured one, inspect them. I think you can spray carb cleaner onto the pipes whilst it's idling, if you get a sudden change in the RPM, then that'll indicate it's leaking (although I think you'd possibly hear it).

Edited by RobPhoboS

Where did you get it fitted? Suppose you can go back there and ask them to check if there is any leakage somewhere in the system. I'm sure they have all the tools needed to check for leaks.

PS: Are you sure its not the Cobra making the hissing noise? B)

Edited by veeg33
  • Like 1

i have the exact same problem. i bought my car about 2 weeks ago and never noticed it until i got it home. im not sure if its the exhaust, with mine you only have to rest the slightest bit more pressure on the pedal and the noise goes. i did notice that sometimes if you put the cruise control on the noise also goes....but not all the time. my brother thought could be fuel pump. ive not posted the problem because i didn't want to find out ive bought a shed