Throttle Body

Payco

I have removed my plenum and throttle body today. Whilst the plenum is off I am planning to paint my throttle body. Can someone tell me when I reconnect the TB what the reset procedure is (in detail).

Thanks

Martin

Hi mate I have painted 5/6 throttle bodies and changed countless plenums for people, obviously taking the tb off each time and I have never had to reset at all I just reconnect and hey presto they work fine no EML lights nothing mate :thumbs:

Thanks Mark.Thats good to know.dont forget to let me know when you have a bonnet catch available..

martin

Edited by Payco

Martin, the manual states the following when the tthrottle body is disconnected AND removed after reinstallation perform Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning and then Idle Air Volume Learning in that order :)

Yup, this:-

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning

Operation Procedures

1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.

2. Turn ignition switch is ?ON?.

3. Turn ignition switch is ?OFF? wait at least 10 seconds.

Make sure that the throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle Position Learning)

It is better to count the time accurately with a clock.

Operation Procedures

1. Perform ?Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning?.

2. Perform ?Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning?.

3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.

4. Turn ignition switch ?OFF? and wait at least 10 seconds.

5. Conform that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch ?ON? and wait 3 seconds.

6. Repeat the following (steps 7a, 7b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.

7a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD)

7b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.

8. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the Check Engine Light (CEL) stops blinking and turned ON.

9. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the CEL is ON.

10. Start engine and let it idle.

11. Wait 20 seconds.

12. Rev up the engine two or three times and make sure the idle speed and ignition timing are within the specifications.

I've done it twice, the first time I had to do it the second time I didn't but I did anyway, can't do any harm and only takes a few minutes. Maybe the differnece is disconnecting AND removing the TB? :shrug:

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

I've just had to replace the throttle body too but cannot get the car working again. Car went in to limp mode and the AA and a mechanic said it was the throttle body causing the problem. I checked the codes and they concurred with it being a throttle body problem.

Now after getting another throttle body fitted as well as a new battery, I still cannot get it to start. I've done the Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning followed by Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning and then started trying to do the Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle Position Learning) procedure a few times but when I get to the point of starting the engine it just turns over but won't catch.

Does anyone have any suggestions I could try?

When I have disconnected I never use the alarm, no electrics nothing if I lock the car I just use the key but yo have to make sure the plugins right in it clicks and it is easy to think its connected when it isn't :thumbs:

Cheers Alex. Unfortunately no trailer at present so will prob have to go with the Nobles option as it's only about a mile away. I was actually hoping to avoid them if possible as I've had a couple of poor experiences with them in the past, but needs must and long bus commutes are not as much fun as environmentalists would have you believe. Missing having the zed on the road.

Shame about Nobles which surprises me greatly.

They are very approachable and I have found their after sale to be exceptional. :#1:

Pay them a visit and speak face to face with David Noble (Dealer Principle NHPC) explaining your concerns (past and present) and tell him that I sent you.

I don't know what your previous issues were, however, David will give you the reassurances that you need so that you are comfortable leaving your pride and joy with them.

They will also fit parts that I supply, so there should also be substantial savings to be made there.

Let me know how it goes.

Alex. :)

One of the mechanics they used to have working there did some outside work on an MR2 I had a few years back. Unfortunately he couldn't fix it properly and instead decided to hotwired it. Next time I started it up all I got was white smoke, a lovely burning smell and another more expensive bill. Not Nobles fault but just didn't instill confidence in the level of their mechanics.

Another time I took a bulb for the zed that was missing the base with me to get a replacement and they couldn't work out what it was so tried to sell me one for £280. Ended up getting one from Halfors for a tenner. Again it didn't instill confidence.

I'll give them another go and let you know how I get on.

Many thanks :)

Richard.

Ah right.

1st issue was a "homer" which went wrong by a tech who used to work there, so probably not worth mentioning to David Noble. :lol:

2nd issue: Hardly ideal, but that is parts people for you.

If you prefer not to confront David Noble then speak to Darren King the R35 service manager and again tell him that I sent you.

Alex. :)

• 2 weeks later...

Trying to size up my current options now. I have seen a few cheap kits online but really have to question the quality of them. Does anyone know of a decent timing chain kit that is going to work out less expensive than Nissan's own?