Fuel leak on rear of the rail

RobPhoboS

I had to undo the 2 bolts holding the fuel pipe connection, as shown in the pic. Prior to that I released the pressure as stated in the manual.

The 2 bolts and washers look fine as well as the O ring on the pipe connecter, I torqued them up to just under 10nm (9.6nm in the manual).

Any ideas as to what could be causing this?

IMAG0655_zps3gedoecm.jpg

I left the car running until the fans kicked in about an hour ago, no leak, I'm guessing it was just a bit of grit that caused the problem.

I'll order a new O ring anyway, and later I'll be running the car and checking the rocker covers.

Cheers guys.

Right, I think I should order a replacement o ring. I was just driving to the gym, accelerated a little bit at a junction and then could immediately smell some fuel.

I just wondered if anyone knows the part number for this ?

It's the fuel sub-tube O ring.

The other thing I saw in the manual was that you are:

INSTALLATION 1.

Install fuel damper and fuel sub-tube.

â— When handling new O-rings, be careful of the following caution: CAUTION:

â— Handle O-ring with bare hands. Do not wear gloves.

â— Lubricate O-ring with new engine oil.

â— Do not clean O-ring with solvent.

â— Make sure that O-ring and its mating part are free of foreign material.

â— When installing O-ring, be careful not to scratch it with tool or fingernails. Also be careful not to twist or stretch O-ring. If O-ring was stretched while it was being attached, do not insert it quickly into fuel tube.

â— Insert O-ring straight into fuel tube. Do not decenter or twist it.

What does the oil do ?

I just disconnected this to take the drivers side valve cover out. Have not changed the ring though. Have people taken this apart and not out a new ring in? I had no problems before hand with fuel just needed the space to get the valve cover out.

Also I didn't torque it, just hand tight as I don't have a torque wrench that's goes low enough. Is this ok? If not were can I get one which goes that low for a cheap price? Very poor at the moment haha

That's what she 'Zed' :-/

I bought a Sealey STW1012 :thumbs: (usual places - ebay/amazon)

I've not had a problem before just this time, so I wonder if it's because it requires a bit of oil on it or if I pinched it slightly.

Edited by RobPhoboS

Sweet cheers mate hopefully it will be alright. I'll look on eBay now. How would I know if there's a fuel leak from that area? Is the smell really strong, would it leak if I get someone to rev whilst I look at it? Cheers mate

Sweet cheers mate hopefully it will be alright. I'll look on eBay now. How would I know if there's a fuel leak from that area? Is the smell really strong, would it leak if I get someone to rev whilst I look at it? Cheers mate

You can smell it immediately, and in my initial post it was just dripping (not loads just a bit). Whereas the other night it was just the smell and slightly damp to the touch on that same bracket.

To be fair I need to take mine off at least one more time to fit the valve cover but I was very careful with it. I'm just going to buy another ring from Nissan when I get the car running again.

Ah, my o-ring was pinched and chipped.

Replaced with one from that kit, seems good. Used oil to lube it.

I was lurking on this. Doesn't surprise me that you found that you'd split it, as I had knackered one or two exactly the same in the past when attempting to reuse. O rings - best changed for fresh ones if you need to refit something (and those multiboxes are great value for money) :thumbs:

Oiling them with fresh engine oil makes installation easier and reduces the risk of damage from scuffing. It also moisturises the seal for protection too (allegedly).