Aerial delete

scobie140

Looking at getting a respray soon and thought about removing the stock aerial to smooth it over but not sure on how to go about still receiving a signal for the radio?

Surely someone else has done this.

Hopeless when it comes to electrics unfortunately

Yep one of our American cousins has done it from what I found out. States that he mounted the aerial to the interior chassis and had the aerial hole filled & smoothed over.

Source: http://my350z.com/forum/exterior-and-interior/558521-removing-the-complete-antenna-assembly.html

Also this short thread on here about doing it but not much info about doing it or whether the guy even went ahead.

Link: http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/67320-is-there-a-guide-for-removing-radio-antenna/

No idea what the radio reception would be like after doing that though. :shrug:

You can actually buy and interior aerial. They mount on the inside at the top of the rear window usually. They are a thin bar and are very discreet

Can be readily found on fleebay ;)

Not too expensive but it's best to go for a branded one in my personal opinion

Yep one of our American cousins has done it from what I found out. States that he mounted the aerial to the interior chassis and had the aerial hole filled & smoothed over.

Source: http://my350z.com/fo...a-assembly.html

Also this short thread on here about doing it but not much info about doing it or whether the guy even went ahead.

Link: http://www.350z-uk.c...-radio-antenna/

No idea what the radio reception would be like after doing that though. :shrug:

Yeh they were the only two posts that I could find, The details in them are a bit vague so thought i'd ask here.

Is it just as simple as running a wire straight to a point on the chassie?

You can actually buy and interior aerial. They mount on the inside at the top of the rear window usually. They are a thin bar and are very discreet

Can be readily found on fleebay ;)

Not too expensive but it's best to go for a branded one in my personal opinion

I thought this would have been an option but never herd of it. couldn't find anything on fleebay last night, just realised the only word i never put in with the searches last night was "interior" what a simple oversight!

All the branded ones i can find are for DAB i'm assuming they wont work with the old bose HU?,

Must be simple enough to wire up when found though.

Looking at getting a respray soon and thought about removing the stock aerial to smooth it over but not sure on how to go about still receiving a signal for the radio?

Surely someone else has done this.

Hopeless when it comes to electrics unfortunately

Cal , another member on here is doing the same thing as part of his new build.

Need a wee help folks, got all the interior stripped out and got the bracket that holds the base to the inside of the body off. I've tried pulling wiggling and twisting to get the last bit off but it's not wanting to budge. Don't want to be too forcefully and damage the panel. How do I get the last bit of the base out?

13963867dcec91f518e7c44c3b51f411.jpg

Edited by scobie140

Also what am I ment to attach the silver cable to? Is it just an earth? And what's the cable with dc sticker on it for and where do I wire it? Sorry if these are basic questions but electrics isn't my thing. ffc224f1d0c271e3f1ba274c3e3a476c.jpg08e3b84066a0d52ce3dee146aa5f877d.jpg

Would like to get all this done before it goes into the bodyshop so I don't risk messing up the new paint playing around with this

Yeah the silver ring is an earth.

Look for a bolt of similar size nice and close, unscrew it and use a bit of sandpaper to make sure it actually touches the body rather than just the paint

Yeh thought that might be the case, any idea's on the other wire?

DC is direct current bud, if there isn't a remote cable to the last aerial (I don't know if the 350 has a power aerial capability) you will need to run one from the headunit as if you were installing a sub and amp setup. It will tell it when to power on and off

Others may have other advice but that's the way I would do it just so I didn't risk walking out to a flat battery in the morning

As said though you may be able to use a power pick up from the old aerial cables, just not had a look at it directly myself yet so unable to say for sure.

It would be easier for sure but the above way is a back up just incase (noticed you needed it sorted soon)

No problem I'll have another look tommorow morning and try and get it done before I drop the car off, if I can't get it working ill atleast get the base removed and the new one fitted just awaiting wiring. Just hope I can figure out how to properly remove the base other than brute force and ignorance

Got the base off. So simple just a slight over sight. 9b2cc4d4562ac17789fc5b3936ad8596.jpg

Just needed a little persuasion with mol grips.

awaiting delivery of a adaptor to connect the two male bits of the aerial together. then ill need to run a cable from somewhere to connect to the dc cable, will worrie about this when I get the car back

Edited by scobie140

Cable arrived today to my suprise, e7f355b2495658142b33345feec29def.jpg this is what the base was plugged into. Am I right in thinking I can splice into the smaller of the 2 wires(the one I kinked up) here for my dc supply?

Edited by scobie140

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

All wired up. Aerial has power and is earthed etc but not improved reception much. Picks up the BBC stations and that's about it. Just need to stick with my usb stick Till I work out how to use my phone as a wifi hotspot.