Name my knock / rattle

Stutopia

On some of our excellent B roads today and I started to hear knocking, always at low speed, always on a rubbish road surface. Is this the fabled banana bar that I've read about but never actually heard before? Thanks for listening, any help is much appreciated.

Thanks, Stu.

Edited by SuperStu

I call your knock /Rattle - Ziggy

Hope you like the name :)

Yes had banana arms go - no did not sound like that - well they did but it is almost to often, so I suppose it would depend on how many bumps were in the road :shrug:

Only other thing that I have seen and it sounded a bit more like that was a very badly worn drop link.

Thanks both. Keyser, that's a compilation of my best knocks from 10 minutes driving, not just one stretch of road. Typically half a dozen to a dozen knocks when rolling up to junctions/lights on poor roads.

Drop links were done just under two years ago but I see from one of ATTAK's old threads it's not inconcievable for replacement drop links to fail in that time? But it still feels too soon :shrug:

Only other thing that I have seen and it sounded a bit more like that was a very badly worn drop link.

Let's have a tenner on it Chris ?

Can't we have a soprano? :lol:

Nah - I did say the only reason it sounds wrong is it was .... errrr ....... rattly but if it was a very bumpy road it would, I find banana arms tend to be a knock for each bump but without a test drive I would never put more than £1 on it :)

Thanks both. Keyser, that's a compilation of my best knocks from 10 minutes driving, not just one stretch of road. Typically half a dozen to a dozen knocks when rolling up to junctions/lights on poor roads.

Drop links were done just under two years ago but I see from one of ATTAK's old threads it's not inconcievable for replacement drop links to fail in that time? But it still feels too soon :shrug:

Unlikely they failed already - unless they were eBay ones that are actually cheap replicas and are made out of chocolate :scare:

I didn't realise it was your greatest hits album :lol: so could well be banana arms.

You just cost me £1 - I HATE YOU :rant:

• Like 1

Unlikely they failed already - unless they were eBay ones that are actually cheap replicas and are made out of chocolate :scare:

I didn't realise it was your greatest hits album :lol: so could well be banana arms.

You just cost me £1 - I HATE YOU :rant:

Genuine ZMANALEX ones, not ebay chocolate.

• Like 1

2 ways to test the drop links -

1. Jack up the car - or put 2 wheel on the pavement reach under grab the drop link - if you can shake it and it clicks then it is FUBAR.

2. Remove one end of the drop link (requires spanners) zip tie the other end safely out of the way, go for a SLOW drive, if the rattle is gone then they are FUBAR

Even with a pry bar it is hard to test the banana arm - even some mechanics miss it, the correct procedure is in the manual though :)

Is there an easy way a mechanical re-tard can see if it's the bushes or the bar, without a jack, pry bar or any real brains :lol:

No

Stop sitting on the fence Attak Z - always sugar coating things you are!!!!! :lol:

• Like 1

I've got a similar sound coming from my driver side. The bush on the banana bar went on the passenger side last year before MOT. The knocking I seem to still be there when braking on a rough surface, so I'm guessing the droplinks have gone.

• Like 1

2 ways to test the drop links -

1. Jack up the car - or put 2 wheel on the pavement reach under grab the drop link - if you can shake it and it clicks then it is FUBAR.

Tried this, drop links were solid as a rock. Thanks :thumbs:

• 1 month later...