Fact or Fiction

Zedrush

I'd say he say he is spot on TBH, maybe a slight exageration.

He does say he had 170mph, which is totally achievable. The problem is nobody really knows the top speed of these cars, mine is apparently good for 180mph, but you need to find a long enough stretch of road. I could easily wind it up to 150-160 I'd say.

I think the guy posts on the HSV site, nice looking car.

200 is difficult unless youve got unlimited space - we had an S13 200SX on the SXOC board with 615 hp, and that only (I said "only") managed 189 in 2 odd miles at Bruntingthorpe. Id wager the S13 is probably a fair amount slippier than the Holden as well.

Some of the Skylines boys have managed it, but all have been 600+ hp at the wheels. Either way Id have that Holden in a shot :D

200 mph....now way with the weight of the Monaro and that power, (haven't read it all but 405 bhp). No dis-respect to the Monaro...great car. At 170 mph I would have said he was not far off his top speed. With a long run he may be able to get to 180 mph. Callaway are indeed a Corvette tuning comany, but 405 bhp. I suspect it has a few Callaway bits, as a full Calaway tuned engine would be way more than that. Probably more like 600 bhp.

There's a brick wall around 175-180 mph where aerodynamics kick in big time. For each 5 mph your need a stack of bhp. I've spoken to a guy who has the record in a Cossie. He broke the 200 mph mark at Bruntingthorpe in a saph Cossie. This was all covered by Performance Ford Magazine. His car's engine was secret, but it is rumoured to have 650-700 bhp with another 100+ bhp via NOS. He's nearly 60 years old BTW and a lovely guy.

His previous record was about 180 mph. That was with 550 bhp and the 180 mph was at the time one of the best properly recorded top speeds.

Also don't forget Cossies only weigh about 1200 kg's.

Saying all that it does seem like a cracking car for the money. Someone buy it quick. :thumbs:

Guest prescience
200 mph....now way with the weight of the Monaro and that power, (haven't read it all but 405 bhp). No dis-respect to the Monaro...great car. At 170 mph I would have said he was not far off his top speed. With a long run he may be able to get to 180 mph. Callaway are indeed a Corvette tuning comany, but 405 bhp. I suspect it has a few Callaway bits, as a full Calaway tuned engine would be way more than that. Probably more like 600 bhp.

There's a brick wall around 175-180 mph where aerodynamics kick in big time. For each 5 mph your need a stack of bhp. I've spoken to a guy who has the record in a Cossie. He broke the 200 mph mark at Bruntingthorpe in a saph Cossie. This was all covered by Performance Ford Magazine. His car's engine was secret, but it is rumoured to have 650-700 bhp with another 100+ bhp via NOS. He's nearly 60 years old BTW and a lovely guy.

His previous record was about 180 mph. That was with 550 bhp and the 180 mph was at the time one of the best properly recorded top speeds.

Saying all that it does seem like a cracking car for the money. Someone buy it quick. :thumbs:

I agree about the speed claims, but I am pretty sure there is no brick wall either - I don't recall seeing 180mph in the aerodynamics equations when I used to mess about with them :)

Top speed is a tradeoff between slippery shape to reduce drag and enough down force to stop you taking off. For the cossie, the limit is probably the downforce generated by the spoiler driving the car down into the tarmac at the speeds mentioned - take the spoiler off though and ... well you take off :lol: More power = more speed if you get the aerodynamics balanced

I'm a simple soul though and since drag goes with speed squared and power ~ 1/speed, I always reckon speed increases with power cubed.

So if a car generating 100BHp can do 115mph, then

- one generating 300BHp (Z) can do 115 * (300/100)^(1/3) or 165mph

- one generating 400BHp (FI Z or Monaro) can theoretically do 182mph

- one generating 631BHp (Murcie) can theoretically do 212mph (stats say 211 :p )

- one generating 1000 BHp (Veyron) can theoretically do 247mph (you can read elsewhere about the issues bugatti had reaching the theoretical max speed and it needs to be in a certain aero configuration to achieve it)

By the above, you need in excess of 530BHp to be able to achieve 200mph

I'm sure people can find examples to completely disprove the above, but it does work for most cases ;)

I agree about the speed claims, but I am pretty sure there is no brick wall either - I don't recall seeing 180mph in the aerodynamics equations when I used to mess about with them :)

Top speed is a tradeoff between slippery shape to reduce drag and enough down force to stop you taking off. For the cossie, the limit is probably the downforce generated by the spoiler driving the car down into the tarmac at the speeds mentioned - take the spoiler off though and ... well you take off :lol: More power = more speed if you get the aerodynamics balanced

I'm a simple soul though and since drag goes with speed squared and power ~ 1/speed, I always reckon speed increases with power cubed.

- one generating 631BHp (Murcie) can theoretically do 212mph (stats say 211 :p )

- one generating 1000 BHp (Veyron) can theoretically do 247mph (you can read elsewhere about the issues bugatti had reaching the theoretical max speed and it needs to be in a certain aero configuration to achieve it)

I'm sure people can find examples to completely disprove the above, but it does work for most cases ;)

OK smart ar5e, figure of speach. By brick wall I mean it ain't linear, i.e. you need progressively more power for each extra 5 mph as you have described, although I'm sure it's much more complicated than that and varies for every car. Rod descibed 180 mph as a "brick wall" for his car.

Clearly every car is different, it's power to weight ratio that matters, (the Monaro will be heavy), gearing comes into it, i.e. where on the power curve are you, aerodynamics are extremly important, weather conditions.....etc. etc.

Guest prescience

I wasn't trying to be a smart ar%e, that's the trouble with these forums :blush: - its just a while since I did this stuff

I don't think weight matters that much for top speed (whereas lighter is better for acceleration clearly) but I need to check that out

I wasn't trying to be a smart ar%e, that's the trouble with these forums :blush: - its just a while since I did this stuff

I don't think weight matters that much for top speed (whereas lighter is better for acceleration clearly) but I need to check that out

Joke....sorry forgot the ;)

Weight is important if you are going for it on a test track, aka Rod Tarry at Bruntingthorpe, otherwise you are probably right. I would have thought the rolling resistance would be greater the heavier the car though, e.g. tyre size etc.

Thats pretty much what I was questioning, the fact that its near impossible for a 412 bhp car to get to 200mph, I always thought you need at least over 500bhp to achieve such speeds, dont worry Kev Dorian never takes anything seriously he just brushes of any abuse :lol: Trust me Ive tried banter him but he is so laid back he dont care what I say :lol:

he dont care what I say :lol:

None of us do :p

he dont care what I say :lol:

None of us do :p

On your avatar is that wind coming out of the bulls ass? Very fitting :p