a 350z to avoid (potential new owner)

adymi16

A lot of this information is ill informed... and some of it very unfair

"Alezen was standard on non-GT pack facelifts" ????

WHAT??? I do not think this is correct!! Non GT cars do not have leather at all!!

A lot of the other information contained within this thread is just hear say about this other dealer... How do you know bits and pieces haven't been tidied up on the car?

How do you know how much the dealer paid for the car if you sold it to a car buying service? It was probably webuyanycar and they are owned by BCA (british car auctions) who auction off to the highest bidder. In theory the trader could have bought it for £8k and is making £500 profit!!

I think some people have a lot to learn and shouldn't stereotype...

I had a customer down on a Zed this morning. We have just bought the car in yesterday.

Car had a few issues which were all going to be put right before the buyer potentially took the car, ie couple of panels of paint, boot struts need replacing, car badly needs a wheel baring, interior pieces need refinishing on the grab handles, p3 service and MOT...

As an honest trader, I pointed these bits out and was more than prepared to get them all sorted. Customer decided not to buy in the end because it was out of his budget. He offered me considerably less than the asking price, (even though all bits were to be sorted and they obvioulsy aren't done for free) We have margins to make so a deal couldn't be struck

I appreciate that you may have been looking out for fellow members on here but at the same time I feel you may be a little aggrieved to see your car advertised for more than you sold it for aswell.

Main point is, not all car traders have no conscience and people should really get their facts straight before jumping to conclusions!!!

• Like 4

I'm not aggrevived in the slightest! I got 5.5k for a car that needed about 2.5k + of work. If I'd have done the work and sold it privately I'd have struggled to get 7k in today's market, 6.5k would be more realistic. When I was offered 5.5k I couldn't sign the paperwork fast enough and get out of there. I put it on here as did not like the thought of someone paying top money for a car that needs thousands spent imminently. I have no problem with car traders there just trying to make a living, but do I trust them? No I don't.

• Like 1

A lot of this information is ill informed... and some of it very unfair

"Alezen was standard on non-GT pack facelifts" ????

WHAT??? I do not think this is correct!! Non GT cars do not have leather at all!!

A lot of the other information contained within this thread is just hear say about this other dealer... How do you know bits and pieces haven't been tidied up on the car?

How do you know how much the dealer paid for the car if you sold it to a car buying service? It was probably webuyanycar and they are owned by BCA (british car auctions) who auction off to the highest bidder. In theory the trader could have bought it for £8k and is making £500 profit!!

I think some people have a lot to learn and shouldn't stereotype...

I had a customer down on a Zed this morning. We have just bought the car in yesterday.

Car had a few issues which were all going to be put right before the buyer potentially took the car, ie couple of panels of paint, boot struts need replacing, car badly needs a wheel baring, interior pieces need refinishing on the grab handles, p3 service and MOT...

As an honest trader, I pointed these bits out and was more than prepared to get them all sorted. Customer decided not to buy in the end because it was out of his budget. He offered me considerably less than the asking price, (even though all bits were to be sorted and they obvioulsy aren't done for free) We have margins to make so a deal couldn't be struck

I appreciate that you may have been looking out for fellow members on here but at the same time I feel you may be a little aggrieved to see your car advertised for more than you sold it for aswell.

Main point is, not all car traders have no conscience and people should really get their facts straight before jumping to conclusions!!!

I was the customer referred to above and find some of the comments rather amusing, particularly following a subsequent conversation today. The car in question was the orange 350 at tradelink with 47k on the clock.

The bit about pointing things out is fabrication, it was actually the other way round. The only things pointed out to me to be done to the car were a valet and a removal of the dent to the rear. After an hour or so of me looking over the car, I noted the tyres were on and below the limit and so would fail the MOT. I asked would these be done before sale. The reply was they would pass comfortably (definitely wouldnt) but these would be replaced with part worn premium tyres and a full MOT issued.

The issue about the boot struts, I also pointed this out and was told it wasnt normally done but they would take the struts off another car for sale and swap them over.

Anyway, after pointing these things out I was interested in the car and long story short, a bit of negotiation but he wouldnt knock more than £150 off the asking price. This was justified by having to do the wheel bearing, tyres and gas strut. I disagreed with this as I thought they would have been done to put the car in a saleable condition, but left it saying if that was the lowest he would go I would go away and think about it. It was nothing to do with budget, more me getting a fair deal with lots of zeds out there.

I slept on it and this afternoon made my mind up to buy the car. I phoned up ahead of going and just asked if he would drop the price by £100 to £7750, this was rejected. Then I asked for a full tank of fuel, this was also rejected. I said I would still be interested but as the place was shut, I wouls said I would come in the week. He said that the car will go in for the bearing etc and so not be ready until next weekend.

This was where the pressure tactics came on. I said in that case I'll phone up Thurs to see if it is in a saleable condition by saturday. The reply was just put down a deposit now if you want it. I said I'd rather wait as it will be in the garage all week so unlikely to sell. I said I'd take the chance but am still interested. The reply was I sell 80% of my cars over the phone and it'll probably be gone so put a deposit down. Again I just said I'd rather not, so it was left with "You know what, I wont get the work done after all, I'll take the exhaust off, put a standard one on and put it up for £8,500."

A couple of other points, he said ignore people on the forums, half of them dont know anything and the other half dont exist (whatever that means). He kept asking if i'd met these people in real life. He also said using 95 ron fuel is perfectly acceptable and anybody saying otherwise is talking BS.

Tradelink seem to have a good reputation on here and tbh I really dont know how. I'd sooner take advice from a forum of enthusiasts than a charlatan using pressure tactics to flog a car.

Edited by hughesy
  • Like 3

In fact we do have a passable reputation on here and yes you failed to include that you were taking advice from someone you had met once (apparently) and had been chatting to on the forum about my car, this person had never seen. This person also advised you that the car definitely wasn't worth any more than 7500?? They hadn't seen it in the flesh, driven it, looked at the service history. It's an 05 gt coupe done 47k miles with 2 owners from new.

As to the tyres, I said, as the tyres weren't yet illegal and would pass an mot, (2 rear tyres a mil over wear bars) if it sealed the deal I would do one of the following:either put a brand new pair of budgets on the back or some decent part worn branded tyres. The boot struts as anyone will tell you on here are a very common wear and tear item and a lot of people live with the problem. I also said that I would find you a pair of functioning struts off a car here or a breaker, to further seal the deal.

Everything was pointed out to you. The wheel baring, the crease on the rear quarter panel, the other interior bits refinishing, the car park dents on the passengers door, seats be conolized, p3 service. Mot... maybe you woukd have picked up on half the things maybe all but i pointed them out to you.

All of this does not come for free you know and yes £150.00 was the most I wanted to knock off. The only reason I did knock a bit off was because you came down off the forum. Otherwise with that level of preparation and spend I wouldn't have knocked off a penny. You offered me £7200. That's 800 off!! I was a little offended by this but wasn't unpleasant to you I did not feel. You have to remember that we are a business and this is not a private sale. We have margins...

To clarify also we do sell a high percentage of our vehicles over the phone. People cannot make it down during the week and can only make it over at weekends so they "secure" the car with a telephone deposit. Like I said on the phone it could easily sell to someone else and be ready by the weekend like it could have been for you. I am able to sell the bigger picture and end product both with customers seeing the original state of the car in the flesh and over the phone and have done many times. I was giving you the opportunity to secure the car because you spent hours here and it would have been time wasted on your part if I allowed someone else to put a deposit down.

I'm not a charlatan and my last comment to you regarding the exhaust being replaced with an OEM item and refurbishing the wheels is now the plan of action so the car will be in fully mint original spec and condition. Thus worth the £500.00 more I'm going to readvertise at.

Good luck with your vehicle search I wish you well.

• Like 1

With the greatest respect cesc you are comparing apples with oranges here...

I am trade and you are private.

Your car needs and engine soon and has done high mileage therefore you are advertising it to "get rid" with no fuss.

My car in question is a low mileage, 2 owner, fsh car that I have bought because I am in the business of selling these particular cars.

You haven't just agreed to spend time and money getting the car up to a high standard prepping for sale.

I wasn't that "offended" by the offer as I know it want meant to be offensive. It just confused me after what myself and the customer had just discussed.

With the greatest respect cesc you are comparing apples with oranges here...

I am trade and you are private.

So? We're both selling cars, this most certainly isn't a case of comparing "apples and oranges". 10% vs 42% is not the same thing no matter how you try and dress it up.

Your car needs and engine soon and has done high mileage therefore you are advertising it to "get rid" with no fuss.

My car does not "need" a new engine, and 110k is not stratospheric mileage. Please don't make assumptions based on the condition of the engine that I'm desperate to sell to any old punter just to see the back of it. The price of £3.5k reflects the issue.

My car in question is a low mileage, 2 owner, fsh car that I have bought because I am in the business of selling these particular cars.

You haven't just agreed to spend time and money getting the car up to a high standard prepping for sale.

Making sure a car has legal tyres, a tailgate which won't decapitate you and no issues with the wheel bearing is now considered a high standard?

I just spent good money getting mine fully serviced, another £50 getting the interior cleaned and leather treated and will leave the next owner with a full tank of petrol. Reading that post by hughesy suggests that maybe your business could learn a thing or two from some guy selling a shabby example of a Zed.

• Like 1

To clarify also we do sell a high percentage of our vehicles over the phone. People cannot make it down during the week and can only make it over at weekends so they "secure" the car with a telephone deposit. Like I said on the phone it could easily sell to someone else and be ready by the weekend like it could have been for you. I am able to sell the bigger picture and end product both with customers seeing the original state of the car in the flesh and over the phone and have done many times. I was giving you the opportunity to secure the car because you spent hours here and it would have been time wasted on your part if I allowed someone else to put a deposit down.

You told me the car was in the garage having the work done until at least Saturday. Putting a deposit down over the phone meant I had no way of getting a receipt for the agreed works such as the wheel bearing. I highly doubt anyone would put a deposit down on a car completely blind going on just your word, but that may be me being naive.

As i said, I felt you tried to pressurise and intimidate into putting a deposit down there and then threw your toys out the pram when i didnt

You offered me £7200. That's 800 off!! I was a little offended by this but wasn't unpleasant to you I did not feel. You have to remember that we are a business and this is not a private sale. We have margins...

You asked what i would like to pay for the car, not what my final offer was. I apologise for not immediately ceding to your asking price.

Making sure a car has legal tyres, a tailgate which won't decapitate you and no issues with the wheel bearing is now considered a high standard?

:lol:

You told me the car was in the garage having the work done until at least Saturday. Putting a deposit down over the phone meant I had no way of getting a receipt for the agreed works such as the wheel bearing. I highly doubt anyone would put a deposit down on a car completely blind going on just your word, but that may be me being naive.

As i said, I felt you tried to pressurise and intimidate into putting a deposit down there and then threw your toys out the pram when i didnt

You offered me £7200. That's 800 off!! I was a little offended by this but wasn't unpleasant to you I did not feel. You have to remember that we are a business and this is not a private sale. We have margins...

You asked what i would like to pay for the car, not what my final offer was. I apologise for not immediately ceding to your asking price.

:lol:

Not the first time I have heard this about Tradelink to be honest.