Jack points and Axle stand points

Jack Carter

Hi guys,

I've got a low profile trolley jack and know where the jacking points are, but can anyone put a picture up of where ideally I should place axle stands ?

I know it might sound a bit of a thick question but I've never used axle stands before. Just relied on the trolley jack.

Cheers :thumbs:

NEVER only rely on a trolley jack - just my advice.

If you jack up a Zed using the main jacking points which is the diff (UK) at the back and the front cross member you can then place an axle stand under the "flat tyre jacking point"

you will find them under the sill a bit in front of the rear wheel and a bit behind the front wheel - follow the lip at the bottom of the sill along and you will see a "bump" put the axle stand there with the V at the top in line with the car.

Good luck :thumbs:

Edited by Keyser
  • Like 4

Thanks for the advice Keyser :thumbs:

I know what you mean about where the "flat tyre jacking points" are, but the axle stands I have are Halfords ones with just an arched piece of steel on the top. Do you mean to place the top of the axle stand just inside that ridged seam ?

Sorry to be a PITA but I just don't want to make a mistake having not used axle stands before.

Cheers.

Good tip KyleR.

I did the job today. I made an adapter out of a piece of timber with a slot cut into it to span the seam on the sill. Jacked the car up and got the job done !

I'll be getting a hockey puck though as suggested because my timber version looked the worse for wear by the time I'd finished !

Cheers guys :thumbs:

When the car is low its a bit annoying Jacking it up. As you cant access the diff or engine jacking point.

So you have to use the normal one but then you can't put the axle stand there as the jack is in the way. Nightmare!

The hockey pucks are a great idea though :)

Your a brave brave man relying on a trolley jack in the past ! , I'm paranoid about the car crushing me to a slow painfull death whilst I cry for my mummy but no one hears me :lol: :lol:

Glad your getting some sound advice on here

All stems back to the indestructibility of youth ! Or so I thought all those years ago :lol:

I've always relied on either the trolley jack or the ramps I used to have, but alas, the ramps are no good at all for 275 tyres :)

Thing is, as I've gotten older, and got kids, I've become more aware of my own mortality so I won't be relying on just the trolley jack an more.

Thanks to you guys on here, I'll be doing it the correct way from now on !

Cheers again lads :thumbs:

• Like 1

When the car is low its a bit annoying Jacking it up. As you cant access the diff or engine jacking point.

So you have to use the normal one but then you can't put the axle stand there as the jack is in the way. Nightmare!

The hockey pucks are a great idea though :)

yea it's a bit more awkward to access, but you can always back it onto some planks of wood before jacking via the diff :thumbs:

I have blocks of wood I used to drive up on to for easier jacking from the diff. Always good until you forget them one day and have to get uncle keyser to help drag a massive lump of wood over :lol:

My sills are pretty bad from the previous owner jacking them without anything to protect them so I'd definitely recommend either hockey pucks or wood as the others say.