Akebonos brakes on my 50

Bodyboarder81

• 4 weeks later...

Awesome, how hard were they to fit? :)

Ya pretty easy to be fair ..... All you need is some jdm rear calipers bolts to fit the rears . You are more than welcome to have a go in mine before you buy , they are alot better than the brembos IMO

As said , all bought from Adrian and once I sold my brembo set , this is a very cheap way of getting all new and upgraded brakes on the 50 :)

• Like 1

What clutch you going for Ian ?

And I think with an aggressive pad combo on the akebonos it's a no brainier for the money ..... If you track alot then maybe a bbk buts think they are a bit ott for road use IMO

Edited by Bodyboarder81

What clutch you going for Ian ?

I like the look of the Xtreme clutch that CMS are selling (for FI) and seems a reasonable price although I still need to research properly. My clutch is terrible at the moment, it's the OEM one with DMF, it feels awful and gets a lot worse once I start to work the car a bit harder. I wish I didn't have to keep doing all this maintenance on the car so I could start buying the bits I actually want :lol:

Ya that's the one I'm looking at ..... Looks to be a good set up for the cost and its rated at over 400ftlb so should cope with the fi set up . Went out the other day with a zed with this kit on and yes there is a bit of chatter below 2000rpm but I just think that goes for any smf .

Yeah I've been in Grundy's with a SMF and it has some chatter but I can deal with it as I don't drive it everyday. You'll find that the charger and the BOV make enough noise between them to cancel out most of the chatter :lol: although yours might be different for the HR.

I wouldn't worry too much about gearbox/SMF chatter - it's a bit uncouth and rough in slow traffic or parking ;) but in normal or fun driving, there is no extra noise from the transmission. Solution, drive fast always :lol:

• Like 1

Just been doing some reading over on the US forums and a lot of people say there isn't really much difference over the Brembo calipers in terms of brake performance, the Akebono set up is more resistant to brake fade but I'm assuming I can combat this on the Brembo calipers by upgrading discs/pads/ss lines/fluid? It seems they are a lot heavier than the Brembo calipers too which is something to consider.

Maybe not the slam dunk choice I was expecting.

Thing is, I'm not a track day hero and really my only recent track exposure is 'ring laps although I'm hoping to start doing a few UK tracks soon.

Sorry for the thread hi-jack, I can move the conversation over to my build thread if needs be.

Having had both and run yellow stuff pads , ss lines and good fluid on my brembos the akebonos are differently better all round , but yes they are heavier which was a worry ..... But I honestly couldn't tell the difference once fitted . As said you are more than welcome to stamp on mine and see what you think :)

Edited by Bodyboarder81