Overheating issues

T-Bear

Hi all,

I have a 350GT... (350z 4 seat version) which has a weird overheating problem.

Start up - Fine

Warm up - Fine

Idle for 2 hours - Fine

Drive off - Overheating within 2 mins

Coolant - moving round

Heating - blows hot

Leaks - None

Compression test - fine

Exhaust gas in coolant - none (indicating its not head gasket)

Local garage has it (manager is an ex 350z owner) and they're a bit miffed :headhurt:

Coolant is bled through properly.... and it only overheats when in gear and moving; she'll sit all day on idle.

Tomorrow they'll be taking out the temp gauge & coolant pump to test properly.

Suggestions welcomed!!!

Prolonged idle is bad for cams but I guess this was a test not a habitual practice.

Sounds strange but some extra info could help.

Did this heating issues start de novo or after coolant change?

How soon/quickly does it overheat?

Is this in every driving condition eg traffic or extra urban?

Did you have any coolant in the spill over tank when you first checked this with the heating?

Have you tried re bleeding the system anyway from the valve at the back?

I presume the above tests in your first post have been carried out by the garage?

Yes checking the pump and thermostat is imperative. But it should be worth noting that the coolant can be notoriously difficult to bleed air from and should not be overlooked.

Edited by GT4 Zed
  • Like 1

Prolonged idle is bad for cams but I guess this was a test not a habitual practice. - Just a test to see what happens

Sounds strange but some extra info could help.

Did this heating issues start de novo or after coolant change?- Out of the blue - nothing done to it for 1mth prior

How soon/quickly does it overheat? - within 2-3 mins

Is this in every driving condition eg traffic or extra urban? - 1st & 2nd, low revs around the industrial estate next to garage. daren't take it on road to test

Did you have any coolant in the spill over tank when you first checked this with the heating? - tanks filled to correct levels.

Have you tried re bleeding the system anyway from the valve at the back? - coolant correctly put in, valves undone, aircon on full etc...

I presume the above tests in your first post have been carried out by the garage? - still at garage & yes.

Yes checking the pump and thermostat is imperative. But it should be worth noting that the coolant can be notoriously difficult to bleed air from and should not be overlooked. - the garage owner is an ex 350z owner & is adamant it's been done with no air in system. If air is in system, would it not would boil over at idle?

Had similar symptoms in the missus' car, no overheating on idle but after a half hour drive the needle started creeping up. The thermostat was jammed closed, replaced and all was fine.

Edited by Zod
  • Like 1

You mean you have a Skyline 350GT! although it could be an air lock or thermostat problems, by what you describe its starting to sound like a head gasket to me, the fact that it can sit and idle for and hour and then only overheat when the engine is put under load.

I would run a sniffer test on the coolant,

Has the engine recently badly overheated ?

Hi all,

Another day and another chat with the garage......

Sniffer test yielded no gasses in the coolant.

They've changed the thermostat which was partially siezed.

Overheating problem is still there....

Odd thing is that the pipes in and out of the rad are hot but the rad fins are cold!!

Either their battling an air lock in the rad or the rad has a blockage of somesort - its being pulled out to be pressure tested.

Also, their main mechanic is still pretty certain its a head gasket but is eliminating all the smaller issues first.

I've known no overheating issue since ownership and the previous owner drove like an undertaker and racked up hardly any miles.

Problems... just like busses :rant: .

Could be a partial blockage in the rad, hence it overheats when you drive it because there is not enough water being cooled down by the air flow due to the reduced water flow.

Whats the age/mileage of the rad.

Could be a worthwhile thing to change to eliminate it before you do need a head gasket from overheating.

Edited by gsexr

Righty..... Car is back with me and behaving :)

I can hear water trickling from behind the dash after 2mins of driving. Guessing that means an airlock in the heating system?

Rad is now heating up properly & gauges are behaving.

She'll be on the ramps on Monday to see if we can find the tiny hole in the cooling system somewhere in the front of the engine bay -still steaming a teeny bit but no real drop in pressure.

Mileage on the car is about 45k (mixed km&m) so heads really shouldn't need doing.

Is there a best thread for getting coolant in without airlocks?

I'll keep topping up coolant and bleeding air from the valve at the back. A couple of times after a hard drive so do it. Squeezing the hoses vigourously before and bleeding with the rear of the vehicle raised or at an incline helps get the air bubble to the valve which is the highest poit in the system.

If there was space in the engine bay I would certainly put a breather system in my car to absolutely banish any air lock in the system.

• Like 1