Quaife QDF10L

dajw

Well hello! Look what was in the postman's sack this morning :)

tumblr_nl1pwx2ztl1t4owpgo1_500.jpg

I shall report back once it is on!

Shipped direct from Quaife, and of course oils from Opie.

Edited by dajw
  • Like 2

NiceðŸ‘

WRT to the oil, was this grade/type recommended by Quaife or oilman or you just got the best oil in your opinion.

While I'm pretty sure that the quaife lsd will use the same synthetic grade oil as OEM, it's worth checking as it make a huge difference not so much with a gear type diff like the Quaife as opposed to clutch type LSDs which are very oil sensitive wrt smoothness of operation and longevity.

Nice👊
WRT to the oil, was this grade/type recommended by Quaife or oilman or you just got the best oil in your opinion.

While I'm pretty sure that the quaife lsd will use the same synthetic grade oil as OEM, it's worth checking as it make a huge difference not so much with a gear type diff like the Quaife as opposed to clutch type LSDs which are very oil sensitive wrt smoothness of operation and longevity.

Adrian (Octet) linked me to an article on here for the 350z application. This confused me so I rang Quaife and spoke with an engineer. It was at that point that I realised the diff itself doesn't know if it is in a 350 or a 370! Anyway the oil is fine, I'm told!

• Like 2

I should add that the QDF10L is designed for the 350z AT. I bought this lot from Octet to make it all work on my 370z 7AT, just in case anyone decides to do the same. You'd need to get a different diff if you have the MT.

• 2- Nissan OEM Differential Side Carrier Bearings
  • 2- Nissan OEM Differential Side Oil Seals
  • 1- Nissan OEM Inner "Back" Pinion Gear Bearing
  • 1- Nissan OEM Outer "Front" Pinion Gear Bearing
  • 1- Nissan OEM Pinion Oil Seal
  • 1- Nissan OEM Crush Spacer
  • 1- Permatex Liquid Gasket

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

However I'll be the first to say: if there's an offer of experienced help to get the thing fitted and save me a pile of money then I'll jump at the chance - you can take the man out of Yorkshire but you can't take the Yorkshire out of the man! Obviously generous beer money would be given.

Have you done one before Rob? I've no idea how to go about it myself, nor do I have the tools!

Ahh I had assumed for some reason you had done tons of work on the car yourself, doh.

No I've not done it before but it's just a bunch of bolts ;) .

I've got the tools to make it a cinch but if it's in the safe hands of Jez, I'd get him to do it as it would probably take us 5+ hours going slowly and carefully :lol:

Ahh I had assumed for some reason you had done tons of work on the car yourself, doh.

I've got the tools to make it a cinch but if it's in the safe hands of Jez, I'd get him to do it as it would probably take us 5+ hours going slowly and carefully :lol:

That's cool - and the more I learn about working on cars the more logical most of it seems to be "just a bunch of bolts" but my understanding is mostly theoretical - I need to practice getting my hands dirty! Having the correct tools… that's the other area I'm lacking! Ho hum!

That's cool - and the more I learn about working on cars the more logical most of it seems to be "just a bunch of bolts" but my understanding is mostly theoretical - I need to practice getting my hands dirty! Having the correct tools… that's the other area I'm lacking! Ho hum!

Easter weekend coming up, so I shall certainly be back down, if you're free, we can meet up. I can show you the bits and pieces I've bought to work on the car but inevitably there are always things which are best left to the pro's :thumbs:

Easter weekend coming up, so I shall certainly be back down, if you're free, we can meet up. I can show you the bits and pieces I've bought to work on the car but inevitably there are always things which are best left to the pro's :thumbs:

Cool! Just let me know. I'm about around Farnham.

• Like 1

The fitment of the diff is occupying a lot of my thoughts right now. Does anyone have detailed measurements of the OEM VLSD on the 370z?

Dave at Quaife have been helpful on the phone, and it may come down to measurements and discussion between Jez, Dave and me.

Here's some detail:

• My car is the 7AT with a VLSD.
  • I have bought a QDF10L, which is designed for the 350z 5AT, and has been successfully installed in 370z 7ATs with the open diff.
  • The auto vs. manual have different final drives / crown sizes.
  • The open vs. VLSD have different shaft lengths on each side (the VLSD is offset).

There isn't a direct replacement for the auto with VLSD, so this means I'm in that annoying unknown quadrant:

• 350z Manual, OEM diff is Open — Use a QDF11L
  • 350z Manual, OEM diff is VLSD — Use a QDF13L
  • 350z Auto, OEM diff is Open — Use a QDF10L (this also fits the 370z just fine)
  • 350z Auto, OEM diff is VLSD — Err, no idea till we measure it.

Product detail

Technical drawings

BTW I'm unsure of the etiquette around whether to link to my own blog, or just copy and paste my note in verbatim (they contain quotes and snippets from other forums, which could hurt SEO as duplicate content, if the admins are concerned about this) — anyone care to advise?

The great "will it fit?" debate rages on (in my head). Here's some data from R T Quaife Engineering Ltd. I am reassured by this. Looks like it might actually fit (the spigot lengths are the same in all circumstances).

tumblr_nl1pwx2ztl1t4owpgo2_r1_1280.png