Quaife QDF10L

dajw

• 3 weeks later...

Update from Jez at Horsham who has installed the diff in my 370z 7AT with VLSD housing.

(Forgive the keywords, but it's good to be clear for others searching).

Quaife advised that one diff output shaft needs to be cut down by 1.7†to fit – this is what we did and it all works, however the shafts do not properly click into the diff centre. They move about by around 4mm.

Jez spoke with Dave at Quaife who has advised that we need to obtain both diff output shafts from a 350Z with the auto transmission. These will click into place properly and be retained.

I thought I'd better write up what has happened so far as a summary, as I know a few people are interested in installing a Quaife diff in their cars. The headline is: 350z is fine, 370z is fine if you have the manual. Its a bit more involved if you have a 370z with the 7AT and VLSD.

Quaife designed the QDF1xx diffs for the 350z, and they fit the 370z just fine. They make three models for the 350z:

1. 350z manual transmission to replace open diff — QDF11L

2. 350z manual transmission to replace VLSD — QDF13L

3. 350z automatic transmission to replace open diff, which I bought for my 370z 7AT with VLSD — QDF10L

There is a fourth variant that is not made, which would fit the automatic transmission with the VLSD. I understand that the manual vs. auto have different crown (ring) gear sizes. The open diff is central, whereas the VLSD is offset so that the diff output shafts are offset and therefore shorter on one side.

Got any 350z or a manual 370z?

I believe that if you have a manual 370z (6MT) then you’d choose the correct diff according to which diff you have presently. Easy job.

Got a 370z auto with VLSD?

If you have a 370z 7AT and a VLSD there is a bit more work to do. Quaife are helpful with technical support, and are passionate about their products. Dave there recommended that one shaft is cut down by 1.7" to fit. This was done, but we the shafts slide about with approximately 4mm play, because they don’t clip in properly. Solution: get some half shafts from a 350z to use on my 370z:

• Why from a 350z? Because the Quaife diff is designed for the 350z.
  • I need two sets of half shaft/diff output shaft (Part number: 38220-AR010 for non LSD) one for each side.
  • My drive shafts will fit to this part, but we need some extra bolts and nuts from Nissan. The 370z diff output shaft has threaded holes, whereas the 350z diff output shaft attaches with nuts and bolts.
  • I’ve ordered the shafts from Z1 Motorsports, and expedited shipping, and Jez at Horsham Developments has ordered the nuts and bolts.

My installation:

• 1 x Quaife QDF10L ATB Differential installed inside the OEM VLSD housing (pumpkin) — £858.00 from Quaife
  • New diff carrier bearings, and seals — OEM Nissan parts (2- Nissan OEM Differential Side Carrier Bearings; 2- Nissan OEM Differential Side Oil Seals; 1- Nissan OEM Inner “Back†Pinion Gear Bearing; 1- Nissan OEM Outer “Front†Pinion Gear Bearing; 1- Nissan OEM Pinion Oil Seal; 1- Nissan OEM Crush Spacer; 1- Permatex Liquid Gasket) — £259.00 from TORQEN
  • Differential oil — I ordered two US Quarts of RED LINE Synthetic Gear Oil 75W-90 GL5 — £38.25 from Opie Oils
  • Replacement diff output shafts as detailed above (nb. super fast shipping bumping up the cost). — $356.97 (£240 or so before excise duties + VAT) from Z1 Motorsports

I have collected a lot of forum posts in my blog, most of which seem to add noise. There is no need to replace the pumpkin, it is important to check the driveline for backlash (runout measurements) and indeed any good installer will do this. The diff should be quiet in operation and because it is a gearset there is no need to run it in.

I thoroughly recommend Jez at Horsham Developments for the work. He's done a great job with it all.

I hope this is useful to you all :)

Edited by dajw

• 3 weeks later...

Note: the parts that arrived from Z1 Motorsports were a pair of 38220-AR000, rather than the AR010. I can't see any difference between these but word from Horsham Dev is that they fit perfectly. I'll report back in a few weeks once I've driven the car.

• Like 2