Steering/front end clunk

sixdegrees

Hi all,

For the past couple of months I've had some knocking in my 54 plate GT - a clunking noise going over bumps/speed bumps and on poor road surfaces (of which there are a lot around here!).

From searching around it seems the most likely culprit is knackered sway bar/drop links due to the noise being repeatable going over bumps or drop kerbs and the like. However after a bit of playing around yesterday I noticed I can make the steering clunk while stationary by turning the wheel a few inches back and forth (or by releasing it when turned) - is it possible that this is a symptom of dodgy links or is the problem something else/multiple issues?

I took a couple videos to demonstrate the noise while stationary -

(engine running)
(engine off)

Additionally, the steering is very light in the centre and generally a little vague (it was fantastic after a laser alignment in October) - would this be related to the aforementioned clunking, or mean I need another alignment, or something more sinister?

I did wonder if I had the "classic" banana bar issue but so far it doesn't appear to be that - no clunking under braking etc.

Thanks for any help!

Edited by sixdegrees

I believe it is the compression rods otherwise known as banana arms, mine was the same up until about a week ago week ago, had all the same sounds and symptoms you are experiencing. And the noise rattling/clunking normally goes away under braking thats why your not hearing anything, something about weight distribution I think, all the front will be hunkered down and solid.

The noise could be both but from your description it's likely the banana bush or a ball joint that's failed. You will need to put the car up a ramp and do a thorough inspection to identify this. Even with the wheels unloaded it's difficult to replicate the noise from the bush but it doesn't mean it's not failed.

Edited by GT4 Zed

Thanks for the input guys, I'll get it on a ramp and inspected and see what's what - nice to have a starting point though!

Because there's a handling issue which has manifested itself along with the knock it does seem to be more likely to be the banana arm than the drop links I guess.. we'll find out.

Rattle tends to be the ball joint in the compression (banana) arm in my experience, and the sound isn't that (imho). Plus when the joint end is knackered it doesn't affect the handling, at least not to start with.

Knocks/clunks would either be the bushing in the compression arm or the drop links.

Loads of threads as I'm sure you're aware.

But you can easily grab a torch, stick your head under there and look around for any visual clues.

:thumbs:

Edited by RobPhoboS

You can check if it's the drop links by taking them off and seeing if the clunk persists on uneven ground

You can check if its banana bar by driving over bumps maintaining a slow speed with brakes applied (left foot) ... the clunk will disappear

Steering clunk ? ... I don't know

Other than that, my guess is B A N A N A B A R

• Like 1

You can check if it's the drop links by taking them off and seeing if the clunk persists on uneven ground

You can check if its banana bar by driving over bumps maintaining a slow speed with brakes applied (left foot) ... the clunk will disappear

Steering clunk ? ... I don't know

Other than that, my guess is B A N A N A B A R

I've got something similar to the OP, not as severe yet. Just got it back home after changing other things over that also needed doing with the knock still there. Mate says it's the drop links but I pryed and jiggled with no play. Will be trying this advice, drive with them off and at least it takes one possibility out even if it doesn't answer.

So many links and joints on a double wishbone setup!!!!

• Like 1