Takeda heat shield for Intakes

luka761

Hi all,

In a incredible fit of generosity my girlfriend recently ordered a set of Takeda Short Ram intakes for me while she was in the US on business (a keeper I know). She brought them back only to discover that there are no heatshields in the package and indeed none listed on the manifest. The distributor is adamant that Takeda don't make them with heatshields anymore. Since I'm a bit worried about heat soak could some of the proper gear heads on here talk me through the implications and whether I need to source some heat shields anyway? I've tried the tinternet but no joy.

Many thanks :)

Luka

Oh thank you! That looks perfect assuming it fits, I'm always a bit dubious about the ability of a thin sheet of metal to stop heat convection/conduction but there must be a reason why people have them!

Sadly I'm a long way off being able to manufacture something like that myself.

• Like 1

Oh thank you! That looks perfect assuming it fits, I'm always a bit dubious about the ability of a thin sheet of metal to stop heat convection/conduction but there must be a reason why people have them!

Sadly I'm a long way off being able to manufacture something like that myself.

No probs.

I think the basic idea is that the surrounding heat soaks into the metal rather than the filter body but it's never really going to stop all the hot air from being sucked in by the filter which is why the best filters for performance are usually fully enclosed with their own separate cold air feed direct from the front of the car.

There are some pictures in this thread link of a Takeda heat shield (albeit on the DE Zed): http://www.350z-uk.com/topic/88016-for-sale-takeda-air-intake-for-350z-de-03-06-wheatshield/

The heat shield looks very similar in design to the one from eBay that I linked for you so I can't see why it shouldn't work.

Maybe just buy one to check it fits & does what you want then get another one when you're happy the fitments ok. Saves sending two of them back if their not fit for purpose. :thumbs:

So Takeda don't do them anymore and sadly the ebay guys GM recommended are out of stock and can't deliver before friday when I am booked in to have all this done. I have a read a little bit about heat soak but am wondering if anyone can shed light under what conditions could this be a problem (I'm not a track driver) and how big a performance impact am I looking at?

Many thanks.

I have the single version with no heat shield and can't say I've ever noticed any significant loss of power. Heat soak is only really going to be an issue if you're stopped or moving slowly, in which case a miniscule loss of power is fairly insignificant. Takeda have indeed stopped producing these, so clearly didn't think they were required...or they just wanted to cut some costs! ;)

Edited by Paddy78

I have the single version with no heat shield and can't say I've ever noticed any significant loss of power. Heat soak is only really going to be an issue if you're stopped or moving slowly, in which case a miniscule loss of power is fairly insignificant. Takeda have indeed stopped producing these, so clearly didn't think they were required...or they just wanted to cut some costs! ;)

+1 Been running mine now for about a year without a heat shield.

P.s. my engine didn't blow because of this :lol:

• Like 1

Ok many thanks, I feel slightly more reassured about this. If it seems like an issue I'll look into some aftermarket shields. I'm primarily interested in the noise rather then gains, my Akrapovic is a bit quiet at the low revs!