CEL Came On Today - No Noticeable Issue

Suits

My car threw up a Engine light today as I started her up to pop to the shop, nothing seemed too untoward until I tried to pull away and the car felt very underpowered, looked at the dash and the engine light was on (solid).

Car drove fine the day before.

I turned it off, then started it fine again but the light stayed on. I pulled off and did a lap of the block, came home, light remains.

Only mod is a ARK cat back.

I wanted to check what it was by doing the pedal dance and reading off the code it throws up.

Anyone know how to do that, if you can let me know, I'll be forever in your debt, lol.

Car seems fine, dunno, bit of an odd one.

I'll give it a go tomorrow once its light.

How far are you from Herts? I have Consult III and UpRev cable :) Otherwise try this:

1. Push start button twice to get - Ignition "ON", count to 3.

2. Depress/Release pedal 5 times - hard and fast.

3. Count to 10 (not 7!) and fully depress pedal.

4. Count to 12 (SES should be blinking), release pedal.

5. Count to 10, depress pedal.

6. Count to 10, release pedal.

7. Turn off ignition, then start engine. ECU reset is done!

Edited by octet
  • Like 1

How far are you from Herts? I have Consult III and UpRev cable :) Otherwise try this:

Awesome mate, unfortunately I'm in Essex though (J29) - really appreciate the offer though :) .

Sweet. Maybe I'll clear it first and see if it comes back, then take it further.

I'm assuming it's a couple of misfires or something, having occurred twice on two separate drives, then throwing up the light.

Right, nice one guys.

I've ordered a £7 wifi reader, which will be handy to own anyway I expect.

I'm going to go now and attempt to clear the fault first, and see if it comes back.

Then, if it does, my reader should be here shortly and I'll look into it deeper.

Started it again this morning - light remains.

Cleared the code with my feet - light went away.

Drove to collect my dry cleaning.

Collected dry cleaning.

Drove home, parked car, started it a few more times - no light.

So so far so good.

I'm aware it could be a many number of things - I'm kind of hoping it was ignition hiccup or something, maybe down to the damp weather and low usage of the car.

I'm also prepared to deal with it if it comes back. Probably with my £7 dongle and a trip to Kaizer or something.

Got my Stillen Gen 3's to fit and a track day at Brands in a few weeks, so I damed if this is stopping me get out there.

Bit of an update on this -

So since I cleared the CEL on Saturday it's not come back, which is nice.

I also bought the ODBII dongle that Sipar recommended and that arrived today.

Plugged it in and after about 5 seconds all the car information was up, alas, as I had cleared the code there's no history on there about the issue but as it's not come back I'll put it down to a hiccup.

The info that this thing displays on your phone is impressive mind, worth the £7 just to have nosey.

It'll now live in the car as a handy piece of kit.

5* Stars - Would recommend.

• Like 1