which one to buy

nigess

Yeah I think you're right i'm going to hold out for and HR I think. I would be happy for a while with an uprev but knowing I could have had an HR would niggle at me I think.

Lol as you can tell by reading this thread I can't really make up my mind what I want but there is no need to rush just need to get a good one I know there is one out there with my name on it.

By the way brutally honest is the only way to be but i'm still 21 in my head just not in body

Edited by nigess

Is it not worth it with all the money that has been spent on it?

At one point on this forum I saw a supercharged perfect condition example going for just over 10k, that would have been an animal to have picked up, unfortunately this white ones got boy racer written all over it, I'm 25 this year and knew well enough to steer clear of it. Keep your head up, I bumped into an older gent that had a nismo import, he'd genuinely waited 2 years for his perfect car! He'd imported it himself too! Paperwork and logistics I mean.

I was going to remove all the stickers etc to make it less boy racer I was just impressed with all the work that had been done on it and the money spent and having spoken to the seller I believe t would have been pretty good but I take on board what people have said here. I know my age but I like cars like this

Ok quick update going to see a 58 plate HR on Monday. It is a cat D and I know it is a risk but it has just gone through an MOT with no advisories great price to £6700 and 35000 miles. I'm not worried about the Cat D for resale as I plan to keep the car till it dies and am going to have a test drive 1st. Insurance say they want an engineers report on the car am waiting to see if one has bee done. Am I being foolish thinking about this car

Edited by nigess

Paintwork underneath the wrap is probably terrible and little to no service history could mean it's had a rough life, I'd avoid it personally. If it had been written off but still had decent service history and the right colour it would be a lot more attractive.

It's your money however and if you're prepared to accept the risks then you should definitely view it first.

Owner who is a business man if that makes any difference that underneath the wrap is good but he felt that they over buffed some of the paintwork and in certain light it showed sounds a genuine guy and the car is low mileage so how rough a life could it have had

35k miles of not being looked after is probably a lot worse for the next owner than 120k miles of being looked after, it's hard to tell though.

This could be a very good car at a good price or it could be a total lemon someone is trying to rid themselves of but with the things listed, I would go with caution and say it's more likely to be a lemon.

I'm not sure how the HR engines fair with the wrong fuel / lack of service but on the DE / Revups it's not good.

I'm taking it out on Monday having never driven one is there anything that will point to a lemon. The owner I spoke to him yesterday bought the car already cat d but he feels that it doesn't get enough use to warrant keeping it. As he has a dog and a wife etc. He has had offers and turned them down I feel if he just wanted rid he probably would have cut his losses but I have to say he sounds genuine and is very keen for me to drive it. It will certainly get lots of TLC if I buy it

Sometimes you won't know it's a turd until problems start occurring a certain amount of miles later (fuel issue for instance but again, I don't know if that's a problem with HRs). There is a buyers guide on here just make sure you look through it.

He says he's had offers but you've only his word for it (and that they were reasonable), I'm only trying to keep you level headed as I'd hate to see you post up later on about all the potential issues the car may have.

I appreciate your help. He didn't tell me about the offers they are on ebay but they don't say how much they were. I guess it may be a case of suck it and see which if it is a lemon is not going to taste good. There is no way really then I'm going to be able to tell until I have it which I guess you could say about most cars. It has had 4 owners in 35k which is a bit concerning but that may be down to cost of running I guess

Yeah I hope so. Trouble is he's not had it very long and as you say not much history just the 2 stamps and the 2 that he has had done but the P2 service he has had done sounds promising.

But Mouthwash,

It has very low mileage

It's got to be worth at least £20k, right? :teeth:

On a more serious note, it's a Cat D with questionable paint underneath that wrap, incomplete service history and he says it had a P2 service on 20th but later says it will have a service prior to sale? Personally, I'd walk away and not look back.

• Like 4

He sounds a straight bloke when I spoke to him. He bought the car after whatever happened to it which I think he would not have done if paint job had been that bad. He is in the graphics business so I think he the managed to get wrap done at cost. As for the service well who knows i'll ask him

I thinking that if it drives well and he answers all my questions to my liking then I will probably risk it. I have read carefully what you all have said and I appreciate you all taking the time to answer but at that price for an HR it's very tempting and I was going to go to 8 grand for a rev up so if anything does go wrong I will have the money to put it right and if nothing goes wrong I'm off to Horsham for sports cat and remap