High oil pressure

TimC

Had a nice drive out this afternoon for a couple of hours taking some pics of the zed and really enjoying myself. I had lots of stops and starts and all was fine until I noticed when I got home my oil pressure was over 120psi! Panic set in and I parked the car up and checked the oil straight away, seemed ok for a hot engine which had just been stopped but will wait for a while until the oil has settled to be sure.

Anway I just checked the oil pressure with ignition on and it comes on at about 90psi and goes up to about 120pi when I start the engine. I gave the meter a few whacks to see if it would go down but it stayed high. I am assuming as the meter reads high with ignition on and the deflection between 90psi and 120psi is about the 30psi I normally get that the problem is most likely with the sender unit? an not a serious problem with the engine. I think my oil pressure was normally zero with ignition on and nine not running.

The car as not been used much in last couple of months so maybe this could have caused this some how.

No nasty noises, everything sounds ok. Been doing some searching on net and it seems the senders are a problem. Just been out to check pressure again with ignition on and engine not running and its down to about 65-70 psi now, not sure if that proves anything.

I'm sure it is but if the was an oil pressure issue with something blocked or a faulty oil pump how long would it take for the pressure to drop in the engine. For instance if there was an oil pressure issue, the pressure would drop slowly over time once the engine is off or would it drop quickly. At the moment I seem to have a slow drop in psi.

I checked the pressure this morning with just ignition on and it was 60psi. I think that proves its the sensor as any pressure should have gone over night and it was 60psi last night when I last checked it. Will get a new sensor an give her an oil change.

I checked the pressure this morning with just ignition on and it was 60psi. I think that proves its the sensor as any pressure should have gone over night and it was 60psi last night when I last checked it. Will get a new sensor an give her an oil change.

Oil pressure is not retained at all, it simply drops as soon as the engine is not turning, as it a mechanical pump, it will definitely be the sender or the gauge.