Windscreen washer not working?

88sam88

Get someone else to use the front windscreen washers so you can stand near the front drivers side wheel arch & listen to see if you can hear the pump working or not first imo.

If you can't hear the pump working and the rear windscreen wash works fine then more than likely the motors had it & will need replacing. Clark Motorsport on here sell them fairly cheap or as others have said Europarts or similar will do to.

If you can hear the pump working then the non return valve underneath the front windscreen scuttle may be blocked or have failed (common issue too). Easily replaced but best thing to do is just to remove it completely & replace with a straight through piece of pipe. More info here: http://www.350z-uk.c...-washer-tubing/

Another related topic although there are loads more if you search ;) : http://www.350z-uk.c...en-washer-pump/

Edited by GMballistic
  • Like 1

Get someone else to use the front windscreen washers so you can stand near the front drivers side wheel arch & listen to see if you can hear the pump working or not first imo.

If you can't hear the pump working and the rear windscreen wash works fine then more than likely the motors had it & will need replacing. Clark Motorsport on here sell them fairly cheap or as others have said Europarts or similar will do to.

If you can hear the pump working then the non return valve underneath the front windscreen scuttle may be blocked or have failed (common issue too). Easily replaced but best thing to do is just to remove it completely & replace with a straight through piece of pipe. More info here: http://www.350z-uk.c...-washer-tubing/

Another related topic although there are loads more if you search ;) : http://www.350z-uk.c...en-washer-pump/

Thanks for the info. I can hear the motor working when pressed for front and back but neither have washer fluid coming out.

Where is the no return valve (apologies if this is obvious)? Thanks

Fyi ~ You can get at the non return valve from inside the brake fluid/clutch fluid compartment on the drivers side. You can pull the windscreen washer jet hose from under the windscreen scuttle (it just clips in under it) and you should see a small black or white plastic piece.

Will look like this most likely....

$(KGrHqN,!qcFEOWU6V0lBRcR,1uq+Q~~60_35.JPG

Gently pull the pipes apart (if it's tight use a hairdryer to warm it up & a twisting motion to separate) then with the pipe off away from the non return valve try your washer for the front. You should see a fairly decent amount of water coming out of the end with the non return valve removed.

Then you could try doing the same again with the non return valve put back on the end, ...if the amount of water is not as good as it was then that's the problem.

Personally I'd just remove the non return valve altogether and replace with a straight piece of tube. It made my washer jets so much more powerful and it really isn't needed as the washer fluid usually stays in the pipes anyway.

Think it will be a 4mm or 5mm straight through pipe you will need to replace it ~ something like this: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2x-4mm-Vacuum-Hose-Connectors-Plastic-Hose-Joints-Tefen-Blue-Ramair-/350772405492?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item51abaa24f4

:thumbs:

• Like 1

Also just noticed you said the back isn't working either but you can hear the motor going.

I know there is a non return valve for that one as well but not sure where that is sorry.

The non return valve for the rear may have failed too or could even be a pipe come off or could just be blocked so I'd try to get the fronts fixed first then investigate the rear one further. One problem at a time as they say. ;)

Also just noticed you said the back isn't working either but you can hear the motor going.

I know there is a non return valve for that one as well but not sure where that is sorry.

The non return valve for the rear may have failed too or could even be a pipe come off or could just be blocked so I'd try to get the fronts fixed first then investigate the rear one further. One problem at a time as they say. ;)

Yea I'll solve one at a time first 😄ðŸ‘

My guess is the white part is the non return valve ? :)

post-20202-142333375671_thumb.jpg

Yea I'll solve one at a time first 😄👊

My guess is the white part is the non return valve ? :)

post-20202-142333375671_thumb.jpg

Yes you're right that's it. ;)

Let us know how you get on. :thumbs:

So you now have a new front washer jet motor installed, ...there is washer fluid in the bottle, ...when you use the washer jet (can hear the motor running) with the pipe off where you fitted the new non return valve does washer fluid come out there?

If so then I'd say that a pipe is off somewhere between that & the windscreen wiper arms.

There are something like 6 washer jets on each of the front windscreen wiper arms/blades so doubtful they are all blocked so I'd be checking all the pipe work leading up to them making sure it's all connected & not blocked somewhere. :dry:

Also are you positive that the new non return valve you've just fitted is in the correct way around?

If it is the wrong way around it will not allow water to pass, ...usually they have an arrow on them indicating the way water flows through them.