Auto drivers - how are you finding your cars?

James Junior

Hi guys,

I am a noob looking for some commentary from 370z auto drivers please.

I currently run a Z4 Coupe as a daily with an auto box and paddles. It is a fantastic car - quick, frugal (for a 3.0) and handles beautifully, especially after a few suspension mods. I went auto due to a knee injury and wouldn't go back to a manual now for my daily, even though I have healed enough to drive one. Besides, I am fortunate enough to have an old Alfa V6 with a manual box as a second car for when the mood takes me to go old school.

A lot of purists (luddites?!) deride paddleshift autos in all their forms, but for me I find an auto with paddles the perfect combo for a performance car in daily use. Relaxed around town in full auto, but totally engaging on a good back road when in full manual mode.

Anyway, I have been looking to change my Z4 for something a little more modern as I am craving a few more mod cons (heated seats and bluetooth) plus a little more power. A 370z looks like the perfect candidate.

I have been scouring the net for info about the auto but not really found much, so wondered if current owners could give me some feedback?

How good is the auto? When in manual mode how snappy are the shifts? Can you put it in full manual so that the auto doesn't interfere? Does the synchro rev feature work with the auto box too? Also what sort of MPGs are people getting around town in auto?

Any comments from current owners both good and bad would be really appreciated. Obviously a test drive is needed, but there aren't many autos around and none anywhere near me at the moment.

I am already sizing up wheel spacers, springs and a new exhaust system and I haven't even bought the car yet... Must be craving a new project more than I realised!

Edited by James Junior

My 370z is the first auto I've had so can't compare it to others, in manual mode it will change down for you when u slow down,syncro rev is there when u manually change down which is nice when u have a aftermarket exhaust ( stock one is way too quiet) :D

The paddles work well, seem quick to change, again I have nothing to compare it to.

Mpg is around 18ish for me about town, don't look that often tho, it is a 3.7 litre so never gonna be that great.

Best to test drive one as only you will know if its the car for you :)

I would not expect the gearbox on a 370 to be quite as good as that on a Z4 (E89, yes?), but then neither would I expect it to feel too far off. I wouldn't worry too much about that side of things, if you're happy with your current Z then the new Z will be more of the same :)