DVLA changes regarding wrapping

glrnet

Shamelessly pinched this from Keyser, thanks for the info Chris :):thumbs:

Should not be an issue having a car with a wrap - however for your info DVLA have a new directive that states although a wrap can be classed as a non permanent colour change you ARE supposed to register the change with the DVLA - Just had mine wrapped and the guys that did it suggested I should notify the DVLA but to put it down as Silver\Blue Wrap.

Just so you know :thumbs:

More info - http://www.popingrap...nge-wrap-advice

http://www.vehiclewr...tration-changes

Be safe be legal :thumbs:

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Had my 03 track wrapped last year and DVLA treated me like an Alien for asking. Was told it was non permenant and only had to inform insurance.

If new directives apply then fair enough - surprised those muppets have gotten their act together so soon.

Been like that since at least the end of 2013, IIRC. However, they still do not state that directive any where on their website, and it still refers simply to a change of colour rather than any additional info about wrapping. Given that, I'm not sure I'd bother as unless it's actually written down somewhere that you could reasonably be expected to find it, or they actually tell you directly then how are you supposed to know? This would also be backed up in law somewhere, and I'm not aware of any cases where someone has been prosecuted for not telling the DVLA about an all over wrap.

The fact the DVLA don't know their arse from their elbow with regards to this doesn't surprise me at all! :lol: Would I bother telling them? Nope, I wouldn't. It's not a colour change, it's a sticker. A f*cking big sticker, but a sticker nonetheless.

• Like 3

• 8 months later...

A directive is not a lawful requirement. No part of road traffic law at the moment requires you to inform DVLA of a temporary wrap colour change.

Informing DVLA to amend the colour on their record would only serve to help you if ever PNC checked by the cops (i'm guessing if they ever had need to check your car and it came back a different colour then you'd be subject of a traffic stop anyway, which is just inconvenience).

-G- is correct however that you should inform your insurance, as they would be more than happy to invalidate your insurance on the grounds of failing to notify them of a modification.....

• Like 1

Hey guys, just had my car wrapped, and sent the v5 away, apparently you do have to declare it, I mean mines guaranteed to last 5 years... rolling round 5 years with a different colour to the v5/what shows up on police monitors might raise some eyebrows haha!

And as for insurance, my insurance company (elephant) didn't have a problem, just a £19.50 admin fee which I declared all the other mods whilst I was at it :)

Olly

Edited by Ollydykins

It shouldn't make any difference to your insurance by default. Even insurance companies would be hard pressed to show that a car of one colour is significantly more risk to their business than the exact same car of a different colour! Especially with the Admiral group who won't pay out any more for any modifications anyway.

I'd feel cheated having to pay the admin fee, frankly.

• Like 1

It shouldn't make any difference to your insurance by default. Even insurance companies would be hard pressed to show that a car of one colour is significantly more risk to their business than the exact same car of a different colour! Especially with the Admiral group who won't pay out any more for any modifications anyway.

I'd feel cheated having to pay the admin fee, frankly.

I'm quite happy to pay it, along with adding the exhaust etc on, it's worked out very cheap :)