Passenger Door Electrics

Mikey Thompson

First post on the forum! Not the way I would have liked to have my debut on here but here goes!

I bought the car Wednesday evening, 2004 with GT pack and 37,000 miles on the clock.

Overall car was immaculate, however passenger door appears to have something wrong with the electrics I presume?

First and foremost my passenger window is VERY slow. Almost like when the battery is flat and is struggling to put the window up (or down for that matter). Secondly, when I lock the car, walk up to passenger door, try to open it and the door opens around 2cm but no further. Then when unlocking the car when door is shut properly I have to lock and unlock it a few times to get the door to finally 'free' itself and open. The button inside for locking the passenger door (on the actual handle itself) is impossible to press, as if it is jammed/blocked by something.

I have done a search and found various problems with door locks and windows but none with these exact symptoms. Has anyone had these problems before and can point me in the direction of how to fix them?

Thanks in advance, Mikey.

Hi and welcome

Sorry to here you've got problems with the car

The window motors are well known for failing, you may be able to strip and clean bushes, if not its a new motor.

Regarding door opening, sounds like an issue with locking mechanism.

It could be that someone has tried to access window motor and could have messed it up.

Did u buy private or dealers

Welcome to the forum

With regards to the passenger door just incase you didn't know you have to press the unlock button twice for it to open. I always have problems with my other half, as she's that quick trying to get in the car as soon as I've pressed the button once she's pulling the handle. Once she's done that pressing it again to unlock it doesn't work. I then have to tell her to " step away from the car " ! then have to lock the car and unlock the car again pressing the button twice to open both doors.

• Like 1

Welcome to the forum

With regards to the passenger door just incase you didn't know you have to press the unlock button twice for it to open. I always have problems with my other half, as she's that quick trying to get in the car as soon as I've pressed the button once she's pulling the handle. Once she's done that pressing it again to unlock it doesn't work. I then have to tell her to " step away from the car " ! then have to lock the car and unlock the car again pressing the button twice to open both doors.

You know that is a configurable setting on your fob?

If you press and hold both buttons for +5 seconds it flips to "all open on single press". Doing same flips to "driver door only open on 1st press".

David

• Like 2

Welcome to the forum

If you press and hold both buttons for +5 seconds it flips to "all open on single press". Doing same flips to "driver door only open on 1st press".

David

WHATTT!!! how have I had a zed for 3 years and never known this!?! I've always thought the separate driver/passenger side opening was silly.

Did u buy private or dealers

It was bought from a dealer and the car had been part exchanged by previous owner.

Welcome to the forum

I was not aware of this! Tried again and door opens fine. However when it is locked you can still open the door by about 2cm

David

Mine doesn't seem to do this. It's an 04 so maybe a facelift thing?

David

Mine doesn't seem to do this. It's an 04 so maybe a facelift thing?

ahhh- could be - mine is a DE Facelift.

:blush:

There is a nice thread on here how to strip down the door to get to the window motor, then it tells and shows you how to open up the motor, clean and re grease, just read through it a few times before you have a go its easy enough when your doing it :thumbs:

• 1 year later...

Welcome to the forum

David

Does this double button tap also include the boot/tailgate?