Another house buying thread

jimboy2

Going to cut the story really short

We are currently in the process of buying a 10 year old house. Received the contracts today along with details of a service charge. This is the 1st we have heard of a service charge, is this the norm?? Not happy at all.

It's for a water pump station.

If you're not connected to mains water (which you should've noticed after the survey), then how else are you going to get water?

If it's not a large sum, then suck it up. If it is, walk away. Does the service charge cover all maintenance too? As in, if the thing breaks down completely you're not responsible for rebuild costs as well.

I'm assuming it's out in the sticks a bit? Seems odd to have a new house not connected to the mains.

That will be basically a maintenance charge which everyone will have to pay ... lots of properties are hit with maintenance charges be they for foul drainage, play areas, common recreation areas etc.. If you think about it the charges have to be variable in order to keep up with depreciation, inflation etc.

Okay, so that still makes sense, but again why was this not picked up in the survey? What did it say regarding sewage?

Ask the owner what they've paid per annum for the last few years, has it changed at all? Who owns the station? Who is responsible if it breaks? What contingency is in place when it does stop working?

None of this would stop me buying the house, but I'd want the answers. And I'd certainly want words with whoever did your survey!

if you can get the pumping station adopted by the local waste water co. it will become their responsibility and you will then only have to pay your water rates. some times they won't take it on if it's not up to their standards or maybe they just haven't been made aware of it