Protecting doors in parking space....

JoshC

At my flat I have a designated parking space, on one side of the psace is a big old concrete pillar. Partly a good thing as there half the chnace a neigbouring cars doors are going to fly open into mine but it also means there's less space to open the passenger side door. If it was on the drivers side when I park I wouldn't be so bothered but I don't trust others, mainly the missus not to smash the door into it one day :blush:

So, was going to wrap the corner of the pillar with something to protect the door should that happen! I was just thinking some thick foam from a DIY place glued to it but Ive discovered the problem with that is that most glues would melt the foam as would any spray paint (want it to blend in as much as poss with the concrete pillar)

Has anyone got any better suggestions as to how to do this on the cheap?

Any reason why you can't reverse in to your space, or vice versa, thereby placing the pillar on the drivers side?

Otherwise, as above, carpet is effective and cheap (old cut off), or a piece of camping/training mat, probably available in grey somewhere to tone it down. Try a spray on contact adhesive.

I'm sure some of the double sided number plate tape would hold the foam on

Very good idea actually, hadn't thought of that for some reason, even though I actually have a brand new pack of them rolling about in my boot :blush: :blush:

Old carpet. I've used that on the walls inside a garage before.

Yeah, was thinking carpet, or even underlay which would be more padded i guess but not sure it would be firm enough as the contact is only going to be the middle of the door on the corner of the pillar so would be even worse than just catching the edge of the door on a wall if you see what I mean?

Any reason why you can't reverse in to your space, or vice versa, thereby placing the pillar on the drivers side?

Otherwise, as above, carpet is effective and cheap (old cut off), or a piece of camping/training mat, probably available in grey somewhere to tone it down. Try a spray on contact adhesive.

Hard to explain but as the pillar isn't at the front or back of the space but in the middle, when I try parking the car the other way round I have to park really far forward sticking out of the space to leave enough room for the realllly long doors to swing open at all. That probably doesn't make sense but the positioning of the pillar doesn't allow me to reverse into the space which I would prefer anyway :(

Think you might be onto something with the camping mat though, think they're probably a bit more dense/firmer than regluar foam and thicker than carpet! Will have to have a look in go outdoors later i think :thumbs:

Second the old carpet suggestion.

You only need a thin strip at the height the door would catch the pillar and can screw it onto the pillar.

Either that or make the missus get out before you park!

Depending on how much room my neighbour leaves for me I do usually make her jump out first :lol: But not always bothered to do so and I just know it's gonna happen one day :blush::dry:

Edited by JoshC

how about, some nice thick foam, then held on with fairly industrial size cable ties assuming you can get all the way around? you know the ones used to hold tree saplings to their posts, or the metal ones. then spray the lot to match.

Might be an idea, quick search and i can't find any that would be long enough but great idea if the sticky pads or adhesives don't work, cheers :)

Get something like this? :)

http://www.puresafet...CFYHHtAod5xAANQ

Now that might definitely be worth a go! Will have to have a better look at the pillar later as I think it's got funny angular corners, but they seems perfect for what i'm after if I can find the right one :D

That place does look expensive though, should be cheaper alternatives elsewhere. It was just the first page I saw :)

Yeah you gave me the idea to look for something like this actually, not sure if it will be thick enough but worth a go for 99p!! :Dhttp://www.screwfix.com/p/economy-pipe-insulation-28mm-x-1m/38391

Or these...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281532800183?_trksid=p2060778.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Might be an idea, quick search and i can't find any that would be long enough......

You can join cable ties together to make them long enough

Very good point, going to try to an adhesive though I think! :)

Nah, it'll be fine. Maybe some NoNails or whatever you've got floating around, I only used mastic as I had a tube on the van.

Went to B&Q and picked up some nomorenails double sided tape as I couldn't find anything that looked suitable that was also for outdoor use. Will try some glue I already have lying about first to see how that goes! Will post up the results here :)

I empathise with your plans. I paid a significant amount of money to have a scratch on my previous Z's door repaired having stupidly knocked it against the lamp post outside. :wacko:

Yeah that's what I'm dreading, a big repair bill for one little knock :( If this works I think I may go round every pillar and post in cardiff that I'm likely to park next to and cover them all! As well as my neighbours car :D